I had everything figured out until c.a.b.....

Ive used SA rev3 and i've used Ultras. The Ultra, imo is a superior sub. The flaw in the ultra is the coil. The ultra motor is alot stronger than the SA motor. The CAB versions have the upgraded coil. The Ultra was never designed to be a newer SA version; it was intended to be a step up from the SA to fill the gap between the X. It was indeed a step up, but it did not make financial sense. Jacob stated that the added costs of upgrading the coil would make it cost prohibitive in comparison to the SA. The added cost was above the added performance from Jacobs standpoint, in relation to the rev3

With the coil Jacob directed CAB to use, it is absolutely a stronger performer than the SA.... BUT, we dont know how well Cab will qc the subs, offer recones etc. It still may make more sense for someone to use the SA.

As for power, ive ran up to 2k daily (before rise) on an sa12. It would get stinky, but never blew.

I ran an sax1200 at 1ohm on my ultra and it laughed at it.

I personally would do 2 ultras on 2 1600s, but I really dont recomend that to others. They are still 2.5" coils, and on that power all it takes is one clipped song to cause smoke. Id recomend a 2k-2.5k amp, or leaving a little headroom on the 2 1600s.

It should also be noted that there is not a v3 SA (outside of 8). There are revisions 1-3. These revisions can be ran together as changes are minimal. An sa rev2 can be used in same box as rev3 for example.

Versions are completely different subs. You cannot for example run a zv3 with a zv5. Completely different subs

Go with the two 1600.1 cab setup and get electrical upgrades with the money saved. Lol at thinking the sa v3 is anywhere on par with a sub 1.5x its weight. Soft parts pale in comparison the motorforce difference.

Pretty sure they're the same coil size and layers so you're talking negligible power handling differences between them, mass helps, but not that much although there is somethung to be said for extra mass at a similar cost. Jacob focuses on finding improvements not because the sub is terrible, but because he's really good at it and that sells the brand.

Tl;Dr as others said, either sub, 1k rms just don't clip it and burn the coil keep it cool

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.