i finally started something on my build. (pics)

Maybe it is due to the colder weather? I don't know. I do however remember from opening the box it didn't smell much, but once I rolled some out, I could smell the tar type smell.
Thanks tribeX for the comment. I hope mine turns out as good as Mr. Bahns here.
yeah should take your time and i only double layered the panels which i thought would vibrate more. I used a heat gun to help it stick more and curve nicely on the round spots. The smell doesnt stay for long though so dont worry about it too much, I had mine air out for a weekend but only because I have a second car to use daily, but even if you put your carpet in it should go away in a few days.

Thanks mikey it's getting there man. next will be to put this battery coming in for my starter battery:D. then drill a hole through fire wall mount street wires 1/0awg grommet run 1/0awg knu klm to back . work on drawing up my door panels how im gonna make em.

I have done fake door panels before, but I used a 1/4 sheet of mdf. Instead you want to use abs plastid as there will be moisture in the door causing the mdf to swell up. Also for the arm rests, you can use some foam type stuff, attach that to another piece of abs plastic the shape you want it, and sand the foam to the shape you want it and wrap in in what ever you like. You will also need some vynil to cover it up, or if you want to paint it you can do that. Also if you want the abs plastic to bend to a shape, use a heat gun, but do this in steps and have some water to cool it off instantly, its a really hard timed process.

no sorry man, I threw away that project, and I learned this in a interiors class. It is quite easy though if you just want a plain flat panel with some designs in it. But I would guess you would want a handle, place to put stuff ( I cant think of what its called lol ). I will try to get the lesson plan for you tommarow though.

thanks man id really appericate that. nah man all im really looking for is so that it will go around my flush mount ring or over it which even wont hit speaker behind door , handle bout it.

Also man do u still make the door panels?
No man It was just a class project. It wasnt a real door panel. We just learned the concept of designing patterns and wrapping vynil. I dont have any experience in molding abs plastic, I just the idea of how to do it. I was never taught how to put the rubber things on the top, or mounting the switches and all that ****. The teacher told us that door panels are a ***** to make, and can take up to months to do it if you are not experienced, and we only had 1 month to learn how to do that and sewing and covering seats. But what you can do is modify your old door panel cut out some more where the mounting ring is, make a grill with grill cloth. Wrap different parts of your door in vynil, or if thats not good, you can sand it down and paint it. Thats what I would do, I wouldnt try to do custom panels untill you had a couple years of experience in interiors. That **** is really tedious and takes ALOT of practice. Im still not able to sew **** right and make a perfect seat, but I plan on getting an industrial sewing machine and doing alot of practice as there is ALOT of money in the interiors industry.

oh yea i know man alot of cash in interiors. but im not gonna sew anyway's if anything ill glass it and paint it.
good Idea, use the old door panel if anything. Only the best can do something like that out of scratch. But a decent industrial size sewing machine can cost 3 or 4 grand. Those things can sew through 1/4" mdf. Those things are pissed off machines.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.