HU for WAV files

Participant count
  • Participant list

Igo

I've been installing car audio since 1974 but I only surface every few years when I'm ready to update my system or a friends. Right now I'm obsessed with the idea that processers have come along well enough and storage space is cheep enough that its time for me to trash MP3 and wma files in exchange for a lossless compression file. I just did a rather extensive sound deadening project in my car and have determined that I can now easily hear the difference in SQ between MP3 and a well recorded CD. So, I find that I can rip as WAV files to a thumb drive and play back to my computer these wav files and I can organize these files in cue files but I am unable to determine with my recent research exactly if I can burn these wav files onto a thumb drive and extract them with a new head unit. I see that a few new HU can play wav files through their USB port/s but I'm not exactly sure if they are talking about being able to listen to voice messages through USB ports and phones or can we now play back cataloged un-compressed WAV files off of thumb drives and thru the HU controls without smart phone assist?

I don't carry a phone with me most of the time and I'm only looking at single din HUs. I just want to rip all my CDs to a 128GB thumb drive and listen from there thru a USB point. Can this be done?

On paper, I'm thinking the Kenwood KDC-X998 and the Sony MEX-GS810BH look good. I've always run Kenwood Excelon but I hate that recent models of Excelon are freezing and hanging up and that to change a radio station you have to drop into several layers to do it. I am also skeptical that Sony may not be on par with traditional button key Excelons. Does Sony Mex rate with Kenwood Excelon these days? I'm also very interested in HD radio and strong reception.

Can somebody bring me into the new millennium please? Thanks a bunch in advance.

Hmmm. This looks worth investigation.

As I mentioned above, I only surface when I need to be refreshed on what's happened in recent years. In the 80's I liked Pioneer but they sank for a little while. It looks like they have come back with a vengeance. True? I'd really like to think that it is.

I'm going to take a look at this unit now.

Hmmm. This looks worth investigation.As I mentioned above, I only surface when I need to be refreshed on what's happened in recent years. In the 80's I liked Pioneer but they sank for a little while. It looks like they have come back with a vengeance. True? I'd really like to think that it is.

I'm going to take a look at this unit now.
Pioneer has the top 2 audiophile HUs out right now. 80 and the stage 4 99

I am so glad to hear that. I have a real soft spot for Pioneer from my youth. I'm thrilled actually.

I just went through the spec sheet. Absolutely great looking numbers.

Does Pioneer have an equivalent with HD Radio? And do you know how far down the radio presets are buried? I live in the desert and have to switch up often when on the edge of town.

I am so glad to hear that. I have a real soft spot for Pioneer from my youth. I'm thrilled actually. I just went through the spec sheet. Absolutely great looking numbers.

Does Pioneer have an equivalent with HD Radio? And do you know how far down the radio presets are buried? I live in the desert and have to switch up often when on the edge of town.
No HD. The radio is easy once you figure it out. It's all about function. Nice EQ, TA, 3 DACs, 2 way plus sub active, good auto tune.

The 99 is a full blown DSP dead head

Oh well. I'm really set on HD radio. I'm not overly concerned with going much better than the 24 bit DAC I already have; not for the car anyway. I'm going to have to keep hunting. I am pleased to know I can play WAV files from a thumb drive. Thanks for that news.

Oh well. I'm really set on HD radio. I'm not overly concerned with going much better than the 24 bit DAC I already have; not for the car anyway. I'm going to have to keep hunting. I am pleased to know I can play WAV files from a thumb drive. Thanks for that news.
I am pretty sure many HUs do this. I actually own the unit that has everything you want and I actually do exactly what you've described. I have about 100 albums on a USB stick. Some WAVs and some MP3s. I also have HD radio, which I never use. It doesn't have much processing, just a simple EQ. The problem I'm running into now is browsing as it's a problem with single DIN units. Can take me a minute or 2 to find what I'm looking for. I recommend you look into double DINs as you'll like having more info on the screen.

I am discovering that it is so but I'm thinking it will be a real process to find what I am looking for. But I am also discovering that I can load wav files to my s6 and control the s6 from so HU which is just as good. My s6 has 128gb.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.