Participant count
  • Participant list
Status
Not open for further replies.

rebelfromva
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
VA
Looking for opinions on an external eq over the 8 band on my pioneer. Most hu eq are not realyl good but I was surprised this unit has an 8 band eq. Have not had a chance to use an external eq as of yet but would I benefit adding a seperate eq over the hu one. If so which eq would you go with? It would be mounted in the glovebox most likely.

I would sell that hu and get a pioneer 80prs and not even get a separate eq, that thing has like a 32 band or sum thin like that

Looking for opinions on an external eq over the 8 band on my pioneer. Most hu eq are not realyl good but I was surprised this unit has an 8 band eq. Have not had a chance to use an external eq as of yet but would I benefit adding a seperate eq over the hu one. If so which eq would you go with? It would be mounted in the glovebox most likely.

it all just depends on how much more adjustability you want to get out of your set up, you can go from a cheap half din 10band deally to somthing like a audiocontrol piece that can have alot more adjustment capabilities, and these things can also get you higher line voltage but they can also induce some noise as well, or like said before look into a better HU with more control

Meh. I had a prs880 for a short time. Great hu but I'm not giving up the double dim for it. Any other opinions

Meh. I had a prs880 for a short time. Great hu but I'm not giving up the double dim for it. Any other opinions
Its easier to tune from a HU than an external unit.

If you dont want to give up the DD slot for a single din unit get one with active capabilities ie: Alpine W205/W505/W900 and the proper tuner.

An external EQ has the advantage of letting you keep the HU flat, which gives you maximum volume control range without clipping at the source. This is why we always say to turn EQ down rather than up, so you don't boost some frequency into clipping. Whether your 8 bands is enough for that is something you have to experiment with. With an external EQ you're dealing with the headroom of your amp, which makes it possible to boost without clipping. Much more intuitive.

Its easier to tune from a HU than an external unit.
True, that. I'm sure I'm not the first to ride around with an EQ on the front seat for a week before doing a permanent install..

8015430402_ebacfb3fbe_z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...