How would you...

baseballer1100
5,000+ posts

My life be like....
Kentucky
Do you system right? What would you start with first and go on from there? For instance would you start with deadening..then go to the front stage? What is the best way to get the overall great sound system in your car? I have a pretty good idea just wondering what most would say and what not...

The absolute very first thing I would do is invest in some sort of security system. I for one, am a believer in protecting what I invest in (I know a good thief will know a way around it, but....). I would then move on to removing the vehicle interior so I could deaden every nook and cranny thoroughly. Once this is done, I would turn my attention to providing a sound electrical system beginning with a High Output Alternator, afterall, you're only as strong as your weakest link. Then I would provide adequate wiring and batteries for amplification that I've chosen to run. Once the foundation is laid, you can now buy the audio equipment of your choice. I apologize if I've taken your question a little too literally.

If I have to buy equipment one piece at a time, I work like this:

1) Headunit

2) Front stage and removal of rear speakers

3) Amp for front stage

4) Sub and amp

5) Deadening

6) Electrical

I don't need to run a ton of power to be happy so electrical comes last. Deadening would be higher on my list if I had the time, money, and patience for it.

If I have to buy equipment one piece at a time, I work like this:
1) Headunit

2) Front stage and removal of rear speakers

3) Amp for front stage

4) Sub and amp

5) Deadening

6) Electrical

I'd do the same but put Electrical before deadening.

First i would strip down the interior and deaden it front to back. while your interior is out put security on it and run all power cables etc. It is alot easier to run wires and cables without having to work around seats and stuff. then go for headunit, speakers, amps.

First thing I worry about is getting the car ready. Strip it out, deaden, upgrade electrical, etc. It helps me get a feel with what I'll have to work with, compromises, etc. Then I usually worry about the actual equipment. I start with a good hu/ processor, then work to the fronstage. Once I do that I pick subs, last I worry about the amps. Until I know what gear I'm using it's hard to pick amps. The only reason I do electrical first is for peace of mind.

Not necessarally. I could depend on the car. When I had my Eclipse hatchback, it didnt hold the sound as well as my Elantra that I have now. My Eclipse reqired more sound deadening. My Elantra holds the sound well with little vibration, thus the need for dynamat is not near as great. Why spend the money if you don't have too. I see what you are saying, but it's not always one size fits all cenario. As far as the othe stuff, I first start out with wireing, then head unit, front stage.

Not necessarally. I could depend on the car. When I had my Eclipse hatchback, it didnt hold the sound as well as my Elantra that I have now. My Eclipse reqired more sound deadening. My Elantra holds the sound well with little vibration, thus the need for dynamat is not near as great. Why spend the money if you don't have too. I see what you are saying, but it's not always one size fits all cenario. As far as the othe stuff, I first start out with wireing, then head unit, front stage.
not neccassarily. Imho, any car, besides maybe the higher end luxury cars, can greatly improve from well installed sound deadening. Usually, manufactures skimp out on sound deadening simply because it's expensive and it add 'unnecessary' weight. I thought my car held its sound very well until i had an experienced friend install some damplifier in my car. the difference was simply astonishing. I could whisper to my friend on the highway and he could hear every word. Also in terms of increased audio performance, I could keep the volume much lower and still hear just as well as before. THe midbass was cleaner and the output was improved. I would rather have good equipment and great sounddeadening than great equipment and lacking sound deadening.

The question was what do you concentrate on and in what order. Deadening should be right at the top of every list, regardless of the car. If the car is a rattle trap it will cost you time and money to deaden. If it is a tank of a luxury car, the deadening is already done. It is still the first priority, but the work was handled at the factory. You won't need to devote as much time or attention to that task on a higher end car but you still need to consider it right at the beginning.

Deadening is the foundation for it all. The quieter you can get the interior of the car, the less power you need, the better the effects of proper speaker placement, the more consistent the effects of equalization, the better the bass and misbass response, the fewer the annoying rattles, etc...

While deadening is very beneficial, it is also pretty expensive to deaden the entire car. It also takes a lot of time and effort. It also usually requires the car to not be driveable for a couple of days. All these negative side effects keep me from being able to put it at the top of my list.

When you're a broke college kid working pretty much full time and you have a budget of maybe $200 per item, deadening continues to drop down the list.

I have never deadened a whole car. This will be the first. But I have noticed little things on other cars I have done, like deadening and sealing the doors made a huge difference, of course deadining the truck so you dont have that annoying rattle. Plus Im gonna replace the carpet in my car so might as well do the floor. Your car doesnt have to be down for a few days. Do things when you can, trunk one day or 2, then rear seats/quarter area etc. Then when you have a time where you have all day pull out the front seats and carpet and do the floor and firewall area.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

baseballer1100

5,000+ posts
My life be like....
baseballer1100
Kentucky
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date