How to tell if a installer is good?

Braindead

Senior VIP Member
York, SC
Im going to have my speakers installed since I don't wanna mess with pulling my entire door off. I found a shop but how can i tell if i should let these guys work on my car?

Its the freemans stereo/video in rock hill SC if anybodys had experience with them

This ^. Door panels are pretty easy for the most part. Try to find some "how to" videos and do it yourself. Save some coin and have the satisfaction of doing the job yourself

If you go to the shop ask to see photos of their work, and not just the finished assembled product. If they don't want to show off their work behind the panels or behind the dash that would make me wonder what corners are getting cut. If they have a vehicle apart ask politely if you can take a look at what's getting installed.

While it's true that door panels in general are not hard to take apart, nobody wants to break clips because they don't have the right tools or they have no clue where the clips are located.

If you go to the shop ask to see photos of their work, and not just the finished assembled product. If they don't want to show off their work behind the panels or behind the dash that would make me wonder what corners are getting cut. If they have a vehicle apart ask politely if you can take a look at what's getting installed.
While it's true that door panels in general are not hard to take apart, nobody wants to break clips because they don't have the right tools or they have no clue where the clips are located.
^ This.

We do not always have photos available, but we always have something going on in the back and while we won't work while we have a client in the back(insurance reasons), we will gladly show you anything you request.

I agree, there are installers that is good in pulling your car apart and putting back together but does not know crap about ohms. rms etc.. and most of the time you don't talk to the installer in a shop

Most of the time you talk to the "Salesman" which is their job to sell you on anything and everything.

ohms law and such is likely not going to be an issue in most shops. What will be an issue is things we find all the time when having to redo other shops work. Which is poor quality connections, general messy wiring, and of course the "custom" side of things for some mean they have free reign to cut/remove anything they deem needed... even if they shouldn't have lol

I agree, there are installers that is good in pulling your car apart and putting back together but does not know crap about ohms. rms etc.. and most of the time you don't talk to the installer in a shop
This is very true

Ask them to solder all connections... If they aren't willing to do that I wouldn't bother with that shop.
Industry standard (MECP) was crimp connections back in the day. I doubt it has changed. Soldering is superior but quite permanent and most people do not do it. I know a few shops that do really great work and don't solder.

A good car audio shop will do whatever the customer request/asks for.Id ask for Heatshrink on all the exposed connectors,and zip ties on any loose wiring,along with foam seal around the door speakers,and Id be happy to pay for it

They have molding removers at harbor freight for $6-10... it takes maybe 30 minutes a door. Do it yourself! Them fools don't care about your panels.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.