How to support roof?

Spldecendant
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Ny
I'm getting alot of flex espically the roof. So I'm gonna go ahead and take down the headlinear now my question is what's the best way to support the roof because welding brace bars are outta the question cause I'm scared of the paint chipping on the outside. I was thinking cutting out the stock braces and getting steal brace bars and possibly there's a glue I could use?

you can cut ribs out of 3/4" layers of MDF that match the roof line and silicone them in place. then you can create a flat surface to make a new, stronger headliner.

note that you will need to throughly clean the metal surfaces first. silicone is an excellent adhesive.

another option is cold-weld products and square metal tubes.

you can cut ribs out of 3/4" layers of MDF that match the roof line and silicone them in place. then you can create a flat surface to make a new, stronger headliner.
note that you will need to throughly clean the metal surfaces first. silicone is an excellent adhesive.

another option is cold-weld products and square metal tubes.
Now should I have a cage build side to side and front to front I'm thinking 8 side to side and like 3 front to back. And how thick of square steal would you do so my stock headliner can fit over it and could you feed me in more on the cold weld products?

have you tried using any marketed sound mats/vibration dampeners? damplifier,alphadamp, dynamat, audiotechnix etc
Yes I currently have second skin in there 1 layer but I want it to be stronger it still flexes like crazy the newer cars nowadays are not build like they used to be lol

It's a 2011 Tahoe I wanna keep the stock headliner and I think my second skin already is 1inch thick is it possible I can layer it or that's bassicly it
You may have to go to a headliner place, and get them to custom build one for you,to make it look as stock as possible,if you want it to look flawless.They could do it in a days time, and may cost you $400 bucks, but it would be done right, and get some kind of warranty with the final product.Keeping it stock looking, and Clean,and working for you all at the same time,and stress free on your end, will be worth the money spent.Modifications..They never seem to end and always baffle us to stress..LOL.You keep spending money on this and that loads of different damping, and more than likely have the same issue due to no real support,to keep from flexing.

MDF or solid hardwood around 3/4" thick. Or whatever will be flush with your factory roof supports. Also make sure the welds on those haven't broken.

I use PL Premium glue to attach the wood to the roof. You can also use chop mat to fill in the seams where the wood meets the roof braces if necessary. All of this should fit under your factory headliner.

I've had issues with MDF and birch delaminating as there was still some slight flex. That's why I suggested a solid hardwood. Really depends upon how loud the vehicle is though.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.