How to be LOUD????

Participant count
  • Participant list

Goldtaz1
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Guys, I need some help on this one. I found the following thread post over at carsound.com and I was wondering how accurate (preferably the guy doing the answering) any of the following information is??

Here is the question:

"I have been testing my car for the last 4 hours. I used a 10" and a 15" sealed in my neon. The peak with the 10" was 50hz and the peak of the 15" was 58hz. These subs were tested inside and outside the car. I will be burping at a frequency of 52-56hz with the new enclosure, what do you guys suggest I should tune the slotted port to? I heard from 4-10 hz below the burping frequency but I dont really know for sure. Can you guys help me out?"

Here is the answer:

"First off all find the exact frequency of your car. When you construct enclosure (computer) find the volume at wich your's car freq has the least impedance. You should stay with small volumes - low impedance. Put the port on the same side as the sub is mounted and in level with it (it shouldn't stick out of the box - you lose 0.2 dB this way for each port mounted this maner!!!) Go with the biggest port you can.tune it aprox. 6-7 Hz below burping frequency - but you have to test it. If you go with round ports you will easyer retune the enclosure - just change the lenght of PVC tube. Make sure that port has enough clearance behind at least for port diameter."

I was kind of under the impression that you should go with an extremely large enclosure with lots of port area in order to be loud?? Also, I thought that you should tune your enclosure to whatever the resonant frequency of your vehicle is??

dont tune to the res. freq....theres nothing to say that putting the port on whatever side is loudest, depends on the install/vehicle...'

big boxes and huge ports may be the answer, may not...

^^^^

x2

Bigger is usually better for the box.

Porting is usually good in high numbers for all out spl say 40-50 range, but to find the exact freq you would need to test.

^^^^x2

Bigger is usually better for the box.

Porting is usually good in high numbers for all out spl say 40-50 range, but to find the exact freq you would need to test.
i've always heard that smaller was better for burping.

w/ smaller boxes low end response rolls off rather quickly...

but you end up w/ a nice big peak.

as for freq...just have to play w/ it. its not always 5-10Hz above tuning.

my old box tuned @ 37 peaked @ 50Hz...thats 13Hz above tuning.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.