How much power do you really NEED ?

2000 rms for a subwoofer is really loud. It gets loud enough for me to want to not listen to it at full volume. I really dont understand why people buy like 4 w7's and actually brag about it. It takes more power to push setups with tons of power, so when you listen to it at a comfortable volume it sounds real shitty. I dont get it, isn't 2000 rms enough power, or do people really listen to there **** at full volume and get deafer every day and actually like it? I listen to my setup loud, but not to were my ears go completley numb. Is anybody else with me here.............. just asking.

2000 rms for a subwoofer is really loud. It gets loud enough for me to want to not listen to it at full volume. I really dont understand why people buy like 4 w7's and actually brag about it. It takes more power to push setups with tons of power, so when you listen to it at a comfortable volume it sounds real shitty. I dont get it, isn't 2000 rms enough power, or do people really listen to there **** at full volume and get deafer every day and actually like it? I listen to my setup loud, but not to were my ears go completley numb. Is anybody else with me here.............. just asking.
Anything over 145db's is too much for daily IMO.

yea i have 600w ( crossfire vr602) on my subs and 120 (alpine 3552) on my highs in my cady and its plenty loud for me. 138.3 isnt a bad number for the power i have and it is a cady with what i like to call a rear firewall and leather seats. i think its louder than my geo prizm with a vfl15 off 1100w.

sealed boxes on the subs built to spec. not a fan of ported. i like to hit all frequencies evenly and clean. i hate limiting my music selection, still like to rock my floyd or skynard or whatever i feel like or come across on the xm.

sealed boxes on the subs built to spec. not a fan of ported. i like to hit all frequencies evenly and clean. i hate limiting my music selection, still like to rock my floyd or skynard or whatever i feel like or come across on the xm.
i'm starting a new box project for my type r's. I am going to fire them into the back seats and seal the back of my trunk with mdf so i dont have trunk rattles. Do, you think i should go sealed with the box? I listen to mostly metal, and just a bit of rap.

Currently I have 3 mb quart pwe-302 12's on a sundown 1500d and it sounds really good but sometimes I think I'm lacking a bit on the low end, so I picked up an RE MX 15" today and run that on the sundown at .5ohms and hopefully I get a little louder and get the low end I'm looking for. My midbass picks up the higher frequencies pretty nicely so I'm not too worried about that. I might try another 1500d to strap on the MX later on if I'm not satisfied with the output.

for rock i would for sure. just make sure you build the boxes to what they call for. facing them forward will help with the rattles but wont be as loud. i would try it before you get heavy into the project to make sure your happy with the difference.

for rock i would for sure. just make sure you build the boxes to what they call for. facing them forward will help with the rattles but wont be as loud. i would try it before you get heavy into the project to make sure your happy with the difference.
why wouldnt it be as loud if it were facing forward.

im sure someone else can explain it better but the subs will be firing into more area and not directly reflecting off of something like in the trunk. the subs seem to distort alot easier when they aren firing into more area imo. im not the best at explaining things but i give it a shot lol.

im sure someone else can explain it better but the subs will be firing into more area and not directly reflecting off of something like in the trunk. the subs seem to distort alot easier when they aren firing into more area imo. im not the best at explaining things but i give it a shot lol.
When they fire into say a trunk they load off the trunk, and the air inside the trunk is pressurized just like the air inside the box is.

That gives a sort of air spring to the cone just like the inside of the box does. Its alot harder to hear the distortion when both sides of the cone are loading off of something. Thats why bandpasses can be dangerous for some people since they mask alot of the distortion and you can blow a sub before you even know it was being stressed. Both sides of the sub are being loaded in an enclosure and that makes the distortion very hard to hear.... Subs start popping before you know what happened.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.