How loud can I expect..

goodguy8705
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
..a single 12" Fi Q getting 1200w in a 2.5 cu ft enclosure tuned to 24 hz in the trunk of a 05 Grand Prix? By this I mean listening to music at a standard volume.

Obviously no one is going to have exact numbers, but can someone give me some estimates or ranges to expect?? Obviously it's an SQ build so I'm not expecting outrageous numbers, I'm just curious. I'd hate to have a box built for the sub that won't get loud enough to enjoy.

115db? 125db?

Is this impossible to answer?

130's, why is your box tuned so low. it might as well be sealed because the response is gonna be superflat. It'll be loud enough to enjoy, but it won't be absurbly loud

jbsilentkill on here has a single 12" type R on ~1,000w in a pre-fab (mtx thunder) ported box that i have and he is testing with. he was able to do 136-137's legal on the dash. out of a trunk car (sub facing forward into the car with seats down).

tuned that low, maybe 134. your probably losing a couple decibels at your peak frequency by tuning that low. but it should sound very nice though being an SQ setup

I tuned it crazy low to flatten the frequency response. I wanted the flatness of sealed with a little added extra SPL of a ported box. I listen to all kinds of music so I thought it was the best option.

With those specs I get peak group delay well below a noticeable frequency and keep the higher frequency group delay to around 4-5 ms.

It's a daily driver so hitting crazy high db isn't my goal.

ah since someone gave an example I have one. 2 years ago I metered my ED 13kv2 off 600wrms in a ported box tuned to 33Hz and I did like 135.5db on a termlab on the dash sub and port facing the trunk lid. You have double the power but lower tuning so I'd say maybe a 1-3db increase from my score

I think 130+ is respectable for a daily SQ setup.

I have another thread in the enclosure section dealing with the design of the box itself if anyone here would like to chime in.

I looked at your enclosure idea, its not gonna work as you plan for a number of reasons. It'll still get loud, but it won't be optimal and you may even experience some cancellation due to port and sub placement.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.