how hard is it to install remote start?

.::DuD3::.
10+ year member

EE in training
im thinking of buying my dad this viper keyless entry and remote start kit for christmas. i can get it for super cheap, but i'd have to install it myself. i have a lot of experience installing hu's and amps and stuff, but have yet to try anything like this. i do know it wouldn't need a bypass or relay. should i go for it?

The difficulty of a remote start installation depends mostly on the vehicle. What kind of vehicle would you be installing it in?

If you go to http://www.the12volt.com you can download installation manuals of many remote start systems. Download a manual, read it through, and decide if you understand it. IMO, you shouldn't attempt to install a remote start or alarm unless you're confident you can troubleshoot it if it doesn't work properly.

You also need to be comfortable using a DMM to identify vehicle wiring.

If it is the first remote start you are going to do I wouldn't want to do it on my dad's car. Also as stated above, how hard it is really depends on the car.

well its going to be going into a toyota tundra. i've looked at the forums at the12volt.com before in the installation bay, but i cant do it now because im at work. but is it really all that hard?

what year tundra? i just installed the viper 160xv in my dads 03 deville saturday afternoon, with my buddy who does alot of them. i have installed my own not hard on a car with no bypasses needed but when u get into bypass's they get confusing sometimes. i would say find a buddy who has installed atleast 20 of them and have him help you do it. kuz that way he will know how to trouble shoot it if something happens

imo. if you never did it before, have a shop do it

you tap into some vital wires. which can leave him stranded if somthing comes lose. or worse.

iv done lots of tundra's. no bypass needed.

yeah its an '01 tundra. no bypasses, no relays, i just need the kit, which i can get for like $60. i really think i can do it. i work at bestbuy, so if i get completely stuck i can always call up there and trouble shoot with the installers. azbass, how would you rate it difficulty wise for a tundra?

that makes it alot easier, try to get one of the installers to come over and help u do it, altho it doesnt look to hard and is easy to learn on a car with no bypasses or relays needed.

Solder all of your connections and wrap them up good in the factory style. I hope you know how to use a multimeter also, even though you know all of the wiring codes, sometimes there is more than one wire of the same color.

I used the blue butt connecters for my viper 791 install... If its your first time, and you actually want to do it with pride and profection, then go for it, if you dont think you have the patients dont do it,, it might take up to 4 hours,, or 2 days of work.... but it isnt that bad,, goto 12volt.com and get your wireing diagram for your year / model of your truck, and just match the wires under the steering collum... aint no biggy

i work at bestbuy,
Are there any new guys working in the install bay or many who don't know how to do remote starts/alarms?

Because my g/f had a friend who worked in the install bay at BB, but he didn't know how to do remote starts/alarms. So he set it up with his manager to use her car as a "training" install and had one of the more experienced installers show him how to do it. As a result; She got full DEI warranty (which depending on the model can range all the way up to full lifetime warranty) but she got the install done for free because it was considered "training".....and we used his discount to buy it....so we got the top of the line [at the time] Clifford remote start for around $100 IIRC with free installation and full warranty.

Are there any new guys working in the install bay or many who don't know how to do remote starts/alarms?
Because my g/f had a friend who worked in the install bay at BB, but he didn't know how to do remote starts/alarms. So he set it up with his manager to use her car as a "training" install and had one of the more experienced installers show him how to do it. As a result; She got full DEI warranty (which depending on the model can range all the way up to full lifetime warranty) but she got the install done for free because it was considered "training".....and we used his discount to buy it....so we got the top of the line [at the time] Clifford remote start for around $100 IIRC with free installation and full warranty.
wow thats a sweet deal! and there is a new guy in there waiting to learn how to work on alarms. how long ago was this? maybe i'll talk to one of the managers //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/up2something.gif.dd110ecf3ae4b76050d87598f2f8de7c.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.