How exactly to you measure SQ?

in SQ there is an RTA test. Which you want to be flat across the board. and a listening test for which you want very good imaging and tweek your eq to sound nice and warm. most people who compete either mark their EQs for RTA tests and litsening test setting OR they have a switch they flip to runing through secondary EQ's that have the RTA settings on them. To tell you the truth the install matters and so does brand names. You most of them cool installs you see aren't fuctional in SQ BUT they win. I don't think install should matter in a listening test BUT it does. You'll never see plain jane car wining SQ comps.

Originally posted by bass_master Is there some kind of meter used for measuring SQ or is it just judged by ear?
Where you are at right now (Australia) was where the initial upheaval against the RTA began. IASCA Australia helped spearhead reducing the imptact the RTA had on SQ scores, because it was nothing more than a machine reproduction of a flatline response.

The very major portion of SQ judging is done by two judges that will be seated in your vehicle and run an audition with their competition disk usually. They are trained in the aspects of staging, imaging, tonality, and frequency response, and will map your system out for you.

Talk with your judges, they can help you strengthen your system, I have yet to meet a bad judge. They are there for the love of audio, and most are more than willing to offer you a few pointers.

Originally posted by chris229 I don't think install should matter in a listening test BUT it does. You'll never see plain jane car wining SQ comps.
Really now....

I have one IASCA Pro 601+ Street competitor that can say this is crap...

Placed 4th at IASCA finals, with a car that hardly looks like there is an install.

I once talked with someone who was getting ok scoring THEN he posted sub standard name brands in his car. He told me after that his scores some how got lower. With remarks like-- lacking midbass and imaging

Originally posted by jlaine Really now....

I have one IASCA Pro 601+ Street competitor that can say this is crap...

Placed 4th at IASCA finals, with a car that hardly looks like there is an install.
exactly my point . good install cann't see the install. roll through them lanes with wires fling around and cheaply mounted amps see what happens to your score.

Originally posted by chris229 I once talked with someone who was getting ok scoring THEN he posted sub standard name brands in his car. He told me after that his scores some how got lower. With remarks like-- lacking midbass and imaging
I don't buy that. Judges aren't/shoudln't be biased towards companies because of the reputation of their name. If this were true I'm quite sure we'd hear a lot more about it.

Originally posted by chris229 exactly my point . good install cann't see the install. roll through them lanes with wires fling around and cheaply mounted amps see what happens to your score.
That's fine, just compete Street class...

Originally posted by Mark_ab  

I don't buy that. Judges aren't/shoudln't be biased towards companies because of the reputation of their name. If this were true I'm quite sure we'd hear a lot more about it.
K if you ever comp tell the judge you have sub standard equipment can hurt can it?

I've heard quite a bit about that when going thru the boards. But its hard to say whether its the truth or just bitter people who thought they should have scored better.

That's what he's trying to say. For some reason the judges are biased against "lesser" equipment no matter how it sounds. I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, just repeating what many have said.

Here in Puerto Rico they dont look at the equipment they give you a CD to put in your radio ( the same they give to everybody else) and the db's are mesure the by a computer and you can actualy see what's your score only if you are compiting for looks and organized then a judge looks inside and give you a general score in the component but the db's is an individual score.

welp i have had judges say "you have a horn car huh?" without listening they will have a disstranged look give you mediocre score cause your mids dont strain tryin to reproduce some crappy chicks voice then just score you slightly higher in imaging than a regular car lol... seriously at a show in detroit this happened to me.. in imaging all the x's for stage were right on and i got a medium score usually i got 5-1 from perfect including regional event where its suppost to be harder lol..also when kirk and lyn changed the backseat driver car (the first one) you heard people talk why they switched from soundstream to audio art......everyone thought it was so wild little do too many people know but it qualified for finals with black magic speakers lol and when it WON finals it had protech speakers up front set of oz tweets along the back hatch and 6 oz 12's not all oz like it did its second year out

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.