How do i get 14.4 volts?

heyhi
10+ year member

nyc
My amp is 500 rms bridged. Im getting a sub thats 650 rms.

With a cap i might get 13 - 13.5 v to the amp. Is that good enough to push 500 rms, or is it really gonna be lower?

I read that to get 14.4 v i need bigger gauge wire, a bigger alternator ect. Is this true Or can i get some kind of step up transformer.

First of all, that setup will be fine to push 500rms(minus the cap). Second, you're somewhat on the right track. Alternator + battery will bump you up closer to that 14.4v.

I highly suggest you read around the internet and learn basic car electronics if you are going to be doing it yourself. Bottom line, for 500W RMS, you shouldn't need a bigger alternator or extra batteries, but you should do the Big 3. And don't use a capacitor.

Ok Im gonna do the big 3. Im gonna be running a 500 watt rms bridged amp for 1 w3 or w 7 and a 4 ch 60 rms for interiors. Will both amps do the rated rms with out pulling 14.4 v?

Ok Im gonna do the big 3. Im gonna be running a 500 watt rms bridged amp for 1 w3 or w 7 and a 4 ch 60 rms for interiors. Will both amps do the rated rms with out pulling 14.4 v?
Most wattage ratings from manufacturers are at 14.4V, unless otherwise noted. So, probably not. Shouldn't be too much under though.

Most stock alts operate at 14v or better.

I think the bigger question is, what are you worried about?

There's no real world difference between 450 and 500w anyway.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.