how do i fix this / what is it?

BrownVanMan
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
I assume you guys can help me, how do fix this? i dont know why or how but these things were loud when they worked. What is that wire called and do you have any sugessiontions on what i should do from here? also is it normall fo the wire to break from the terminal like in pic 3? i re-soldered it on there but it did it on both the subs i have. They are 600 matt MA audio 10's.

017-3.jpg

018-2.jpg

019-3.jpg

020-3.jpg

amp was rated to send 380 RMS and i didnt have the gain high right in the middle and rated for 300 and i am sure they werent getting 380. as far a clipping i dont think they were but would i be able to hear it?

Those wires are called tinsel leads. You are pretty much screwed on the sub where the tinsel lead snapped off at the cone. There isn't enough tinsel lead left coming out of the cone for you to really re-attach the other end of it. The one that snapped off of the terminal you can re-solder but it will be a little shorter and run the risk of snapping again.You could add a small length of wire to it and then resolder it but not too long otherwise then the leads may touch and cause a short.Looks like you have had those subs for a while. Might be a good time to invest in something newer/better

amp was rated to send 380 RMS and i didnt have the gain high right in the middle and rated for 300 and i am sure they werent getting 380. as far a clipping i dont think they were but would i be able to hear it?
read into setting your amplifiers gains correctly my friend...stickys on this forum...

Those wires are called tinsel leads. You are pretty much screwed on the sub where the tinsel lead snapped off at the cone. There isn't enough tinsel lead left coming out of the cone for you to really re-attach the other end of it. The one that snapped off of the terminal you can re-solder but it will be a little shorter and run the risk of snapping again.You could add a small length of wire to it and then resolder it but not too long otherwise then the leads may touch and cause a short.Looks like you have had those subs for a while. Might be a good time to invest in something newer/better
good answer.

ok then what do you recomend as far as tens go? i REALLY like MA audio i have had these tens a a few 12's over the past few months and really seem crisp. if i can re-solder the one that broke off the cone will it be ok as long as i exten the lengths of them?

Broken tinsel leads can either be caused by excessive wattage, causing the wire to melt... or excessive excursion, causing the lead to simply snap in half. Excursion problems could be due to enclosure size, and/or SSF settings if its vented.

Time for new, better quality subs.
This was user error, because you clipped the fuck, or bottomed the fuck, out of your subs
First you say its cheap product then say its user error.

I say its not the subs fault it was used incorrectly.

that can be fixed but not really worth it. the new dust cap and good lead wire will be worth more than the sub itsself...

cut the dust cap off and connect new one at the vc or pull the lead thru the cone and resolder on new lead wire.

thats almost what i did looking at the pic closely you can see a lil of it poking out of con so i got enough out and i actually got it back on and they slap again, time to sell them to some dumb suburban kid.

As far a clipping it was my understanding that it would be blatenly obvious that they are clipping it this true or is it something i would hear/see?

HI. this is a hello and a statement about ur issue that is a broken tinsel lead from the voice coil and fixing it is a task in it self and really will be a on going problem if u do successfuly fix it cause of the movement of the woofer.. I run a shop in Chicago Il and u can call me at 815-469-9141 and we can discuss it more just ask for big nick.
Thanks for stopping by, "big nick".

HI. this is a hello and a statement about ur issue that is a broken tinsel lead from the voice coil and fixing it is a task in it self and really will be a on going problem if u do successfuly fix it cause of the movement of the woofer.. I run a shop in Chicago Il and u can call me at 815-469-9141 and we can discuss it more just ask for big nick.
your shop *****.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.