How can i tell if a HU is Dead??

innsanes
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
HB Cali
I got this indash dvd Hu from a friend and not sure if it still works? I dont want to splice and install it in my car to figure out if it works or not. I was wondering if theres anyway we can check it with a voltmeter.

why not jus run it to a battery to see if it turns on
I just tried that, connected the ground to ground and power to power , no light , nothing. Does it need another wire to tell it to turn on or no?

connect (usually) the red and yellow to power, and black to ground. if its working it will turn on.

either red or yellow is power/accessory (not sure since i think its switched around on my eclipse). but connecting both to the battery pos. solves the problem of not knowing

connect (usually) the red and yellow to power, and black to ground. if its working it will turn on.
either red or yellow is power/accessory (not sure since i think its switched around on my eclipse). but connecting both to the battery pos. solves the problem of not knowing
Yes, you would need the remote wire or ignition wire connected also.

innsanes i still cant get over how sick those things are in your avatar!
thanks man, its getting dark , and im too lazy to take the dash apart to test this HU out. So if i were to test it straight from the battery i still need to connect the ignition key?

nope. either the red or yellow wire is the accessory wire which means it works like a switch.

when the ignition is on, power runs to the cd player. when the ignition is off there is no power running to the cd player. the other wire (again could be yellow or red) is the power wire (some people call it memory, eh, whatever) and it always sees power, but its used just as a memory so that the cd player doesnt loose any presets.

if you connect both to the positive side of the battery, and the ground to the neg it should power on. if it doesnt the HU has a problem. maybe an internel fuse or maybe its just blown. if it does power on, better get that dmm out and start looking for voltage drops trying to find where the wire is ****ed. or you could do it like me and just run a direct power and ground right to the battery cause my wiring harness for the cd player is jacked as well and i dont feel like taking my dash apart.

hey george i see your running a 15" mag. I'm thinking about upgrading to the same sub setup as you. Hows the sound on that thing? I really want to upgrade to that but waiting for the new gen of Si mag to come out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.