Hooked up DVC sub wrong...

Hello, I'm new to this forum and just had a question for everyone.

I've had an Alpine Type R 12" DVC 4 ohm subwoofer for about a year now, but just recently did I take it back out of the box and check on the wiring to make sure nothing came loose. I realized that I had the sub hooked up wrong and was wondering if I did any damage to the sub.

I used one jumper wire to connect the + of one coil to the - of the other coil, and then ran the positive and negative wires from the amp to the unused + and - of the coils.

+ - + -

| |_| |

|.......|

|.......|

(tried making a diagram, ignore periods)

I was wondering what the impedance would be with this wiring scheme, and if i possibly did any damage to the subwoofer. I ran it for about a year and it sounded good with no problems.

Hello, I'm new to this forum and just had a question for everyone.
I've had an Alpine Type R 12" DVC 4 ohm subwoofer for about a year now, but just recently did I take it back out of the box and check on the wiring to make sure nothing came loose. I realized that I had the sub hooked up wrong and was wondering if I did any damage to the sub.

I used one jumper wire to connect the + of one coil to the - of the other coil, and then ran the positive and negative wires from the amp to the unused + and - of the coils.

+ - + -

| |_| |

|.......|

|.......|

(tried making a diagram, ignore periods)

I was wondering what the impedance would be with this wiring scheme, and if i possibly did any damage to the subwoofer. I ran it for about a year and it sounded good with no problems.
it. sounded good because it wasnt getting much power lol unless ur amp does amazing numbers at 8ohms thats what u are wired at ..wire it down to 2 ohms and it will be alot better...what amp?

You have it wired for 8 ohms. Won't hurt the sub at all. If your amp is 2 ohm stable you can hook up it up parallel (+ to +) and (- to -) and run them to the amp. You will get much more power.

Thank you for the replies so quickly! I just hooked everything up in parallel a few minutes ago and gave it a test run, and it was a lot louder!

I have an Alpine MRX-110 X Series 1100 watt mono amp btw. Stable down to 2 ohms

You had them wired in series giving you an 8 ohm load. this would not have damaged your sub at all. It only results in a lot less power output from your amplifier. people tend to damage speakers more in this way though because they try to overcompensate for the loss of power output by cranking the amp gains and sending the signal into clipping

Yeah I will definitely have to re-tune the amp, I can tell. But that will have to wait til the morning so I don't wake the neighbors haha. But thank you again everyone! I did a little research and feel like I understand Parallel and Series a bit more

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.