hmmm, what to do, SPL or SQ?

btdickey99
5,000+ posts

I Hate the Tarheels
I recently am running the equipment in my sig, and cant stop having problems with it....whether it be a box that can fit in my trunk, or to stop from huge volt drop, to not being able or wanting to spend the money on a HO alt.

Nothing has seemed to do right with this stuff and have oftern thought baout going back to roughly 1500 watts total and running a SQ system....

I have never had one but think it would be nice for a change to enjoy my music, rather than show how loud I can get.....

So what to do?

Anyone think this would be a good idea?

*shrugs*

It's not like with an SQ setup you won't have constant issues, they're just different ones //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Like trying to reduce reflections...or having a center image that's a couple inches off from where it should be...or getting all the depth out of the stage that you can...or that last **** rattle that Spanish Harlem brings out for all to hear...

I used to like my music loud, and i didnt care that it sounded like ****. It got old, I went all out sq, and i couldnt be happier.

*shrugs*
It's not like with an SQ setup you won't have constant issues, they're just different ones //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Like trying to reduce reflections...or having a center image that's a couple inches off from where it should be...or getting all the depth out of the stage that you can...or that last **** rattle that Spanish Harlem brings out for all to hear...
yea I agree with this and at first this stuff wont be an issue as i will just want a clear mids/high and clear subwoofers(the big one of the 2)

If you do SQ with your setup, you'll grow up to be boring like JimJ //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif
Shaddup snookums...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/tongue.gif.6130eb82179565f6db8d26d6001dcd24.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

im currently in the same situation hehe, minus the problems

I have 2 18's sitting next to me right now, but im kind of wondering if i wanna go more SQ based now too. I know i'll miss the loudness, but i will have more bed room and better quality sound. its a tough bargain

i miss the loudness of my 15" IDQ for rap, but the accuracy and natural sound i get from my 10" Is better than the 15". Both were in sealed boxes with the same amount of power. I want suggest getting 12" or 15" IDQv3s or something that will get decently loud while maintaining excellent SQ for the substage.

ported is louder YES but sealed is so much better for me .I can play music all day in my car not just the songs that sound good ported. good luck with your sq setup

the thought I have put into it mainly is based on not wanting to upgrade my alt.....I was thinking od a IDQ or a Mag(which I have heard from everyone as it being one of the best sounding woofers they have heard), I prolly want to do @ 1000-1500 watts

Well, my last few set-ups were more geared towards "daily SPL" and it does get old. Yeah it's cool to have 150db to show off, but driving around with it day after day on a lower volume ***** because it sounds horrible.

Right now I'm installing my first real attempt at a more well balanced system. I'll let ya know how the switch goes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

But personally I think it'll be more rewarding to have a system that plays music accurately than at retarded volumes.

Well, my last few set-ups were more geared towards "daily SPL" and it does get old. Yeah it's cool to have 150db to show off, but driving around with it day after day on a lower volume ***** because it sounds horrible.
Right now I'm installing my first real attempt at a more well balanced system. I'll let ya know how the switch goes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

But personally I think it'll be more rewarding to have a system that plays music accurately than at retarded volumes.
thats what I am thinking as well...I always have had my gain set down, and rarely burp it for friends.....

Now I guess its to pull all my crap out of my car, and start up the trades

I recently am running the equipment in my sig, and cant stop having problems with it....whether it be a box that can fit in my trunk, or to stop from huge volt drop, to not being able or wanting to spend the money on a HO alt.
Nothing has seemed to do right with this stuff and have oftern thought baout going back to roughly 1500 watts total and running a SQ system....

I have never had one but think it would be nice for a change to enjoy my music, rather than show how loud I can get.....

So what to do?

Anyone think this would be a good idea?
I think you can have a happy medium with what you have now. The setup I am running in my work truck is 2 6.5 component sets and a single 12" in a q-logic sealed downfire box. Everyone that rides in my truck is amazed at the clarity and and is quite impressed. Now the system I just removed from my t/a is using the same amps 1 set of components and 2 10's for the substage and everyone that rides in this car thinks the sound system is overkill it does a 140 on the TL lol. My point is you can keep your equipment just change up the install. Goodluck I go back and forth myself.

ported is louder YES but sealed is so much better for me .I can play music all day in my car not just the songs that sound good ported. good luck with your sq setup
with a properly designed box u wouldnt have to do that

personaly i have a SQ setup that has the ability to do mid to high 140's but sound amazing id say if u want SQ but still want to be able to get somewhat loud do some 12's.... but consintrate on ur front stage...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.