Hifonics ZXX-500.2

Participant count
  • Participant list

Wolffpack08

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have 2 mtx 12" thunder 6000 subs.  I think they are the 4 ohm version at 250 rms and 500 max would the Hifonics ZXX-500.2 amp be good at 125 Watts Peak x 2 @ 4 ohms, 250 Watts Peak x 2 @ 2 ohms.   Or could you suggest a better amp?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 mtx 12" thunder 6000 subs.  I think they are the 4 ohm version at 250 rms and 500 max would the Hifonics ZXX-500.2 amp be good at 125 Watts Peak x 2 @ 4 ohms, 250 Watts Peak x 2 @ 2 ohms.   Or could you suggest a better amp?
no junk.

Get whatever fits your budget that makes more power than what you need from this list of amps.  You dont want to have too little power which would lead to dissatisfaction with your subs which leads you to crank the gains and clip the signal and blow the subs. Vs having plenty of clean power and output while never pushing the amp hard which makes all your gear last a lot longer. Just because you have 1000 watts rms doesnt mean you'll be using all of it. So get something with a lot of power, gain settings will determine how much power is actually used.

https://www.youtube.com/user/bigblank69/videos

Listen to the guy above me. Also....peak/max ratings are useless. Look for something that is rms, Root Mean Squared. Meaning....this is used for everyday continuous listening. Peak/burst power/max power is only for a second or two. Dunno about you but I listen to my music daily.

Well looking through the YouTube videos the Power acoustic (YouTube test) one looks like it'll work.  Should be a little over powered and it's easy to get for me.  Do you guys agree? I dont plan on really upgrading I just want something that'll not blow the subs,   But should supply enough power to them.

Well looking through the YouTube videos the Power acoustic (YouTube test) one looks like it'll work.  Should be a little over powered and it's easy to get for me.  Do you guys agree? I dont plan on really upgrading I just want something that'll not blow the subs,   But should supply enough power to them.
its better than the hifonics for sure.  But anything hifonics, pyle, lanzar, boss, power acoustik are pretty much bottom of the barrel gear and the reliability rates arent that good based on their track records however you do find diamonds in the rough especially if the amp actually does its power ratings on the amp dyno, thats a very good sign of a well built solid amp because if its not well built, it wont put out that power.

A little lesson on car audio. Just because the amp says 650 watts at 2 ohms your subs wont even come close to seeing that at all There's a phenomenon called impedance rise as the subwoofer's voice coils move through the motor which changes your wiring impedance.  What this means is, when wired to 2 ohms you'll be seeing 4 to 8 ohm power out of the amp means you'll still be way under the amount of power needed to damage the subs.  

Damage happens when you buy a weaker amp, install it and find out that you arent satisfied with how loud things get. You start cranking up the amp till you are pleased with it however in doing so, you clipped the signal which causes heat in the sub's coils to build up a lot faster which causes the subs to blow, also you are building up a lot of heat in the amp as well trying to redline it all the times.  

Take that vs an amp barely lifting a finger, providing squeaky clean power and signal to the subs which minimizes any kind of heat build up for both the subs and amp. Which do you think lasts longer?    I'd recommend getting that 129 dollar rockville from the dyno list if you want something more reliable. AGAIN just because you have 1000 watts doesnt mean you have to use all of it and just because you are wired to 2 ohms doesnt mean you'll see actual 2 ohm power.  This is knowledge only those who competed in competitions that have clamp tests and power restrictions know.

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.