Hertz MLK - Need to cut panels....help!

mannyahles
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I am replacing a set of comps that are 71 mm deep with the Hertz that are 84 mm. I have already built 3/4 inch MDF to space out the 6.5's but if I space it out anymore then the speaker will hit the panel. So I need to make room.

Does anyone have some guidelines to follow to cut out a panel and then use the 6.5 cover and make it look clean and professional looking?? I hate cutting up a new truck but I may have to.

The woofer of the midbass touches my plastic panel since I had to use 3/4 inch MDF to give the 6.5 inch comp room so it wouldnt touch the window brackets. So now I must cut the plastic so the midbass has room.....

I dont work with glass and I was hoping to get some good midbass out of them after filling all the holes and using Raamat to stop vibrations.... more research! ha

yea i have the same problem in my f150 with my comps i used 3/4"mdf to use for baffle and the woffer hits the door panel so i am going to have to try 1/2 or 1/4" mdf so i can get some clearance and hopefully the woffer isnt too deep and hits the window which i think it will because with 3/4 right now its really close, so if it does then i am gonna get custom door panels made

yea i have the same problem in my f150 with my comps i used 3/4"mdf to use for baffle and the woffer hits the door panel so i am going to have to try 1/2 or 1/4" mdf so i can get some clearance and hopefully the woffer isnt too deep and hits the window which i think it will because with 3/4 right now its really close, so if it does then i am gonna get custom door panels made
You will get the entire door panel made or perhaps just the bottom part could be cut out and the wrapped in cloth to hide the speak but allow the sound to come out.......???

pictures may help man //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif does your plastic panel curve out a few inches?

Yours is still better than mine, i have to cut the door's metal hole to make the magnet fits in there it's a pain. luckily my door panel can extend a little bit more by trimming the plastic ring around the panel with a Xacto knife then it fits 95% perfect with a 3/4 inch baffle. The original factory "grill" still keep in tact //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

The bottom of my panel is flat. So I could cut out the bottom. I was looking closer and I may be able to space my speakers out another 1/4 inch before they touch plastic to give room in the back....but its real close. I will know when I get my new MLK's in the mail!

so you didn't get the mlk yet but preparing for it. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

Just wait till it arrives, not too bad though it's thick but will fit your doors .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.