Here's what I have. How do I make it better?

GuySmily
10+ year member

Hi all.

I drive a 2005 MR2, and am looking for more bass. I'm thinking about buying a Sundown Audio SA-8, but wanted to hear opinions on my current setup (which is all stuff that was free or came with my car):

- Kenwood Excelon X689

- Pioneer PRS D-4100F

- MB Quart QSD 216 - factory speaker/tweeter locations

- Pioneer Premier TS-SW841D shallow mount sub - mounted in an old bazooka tube. Previously was installed free-air on a storage bin door behind the seat.

Speakers and sub are both driven off the same amplifier.

My questions are:

1. Should I buy the 4 ohm or 2 ohm version of the SA-8? Where from? I like that woofersetc.com is close (California), but soundsolutionsaudio.com is cheaper.

2. Can I still use that same PRS D-4100F for both speakers + sub? Sounds like the SA-8 needs(?) a lot of power.

3. Can I still use the bazooka tube until I have cash for a custom enclosure? It's an 18" tall cylinder, so assuming a radius of 4" that's approximately: (pi * (4^2) * 18) (in^3) = 0.52 ft^3 excluding speaker displacement.

4. How should I wire it? (Separate left/right? Bridged?)

The car:

IMG_20110629_103401.jpg

Bazooka tube visible behind driver seat. Soft top has been gutted - I run with my hardtop 99% of the time. Tube fits very nicely into the area where the soft top hinges/frame used to fold into. (Don't mind the missing engine lid - still in the middle of body work)

IMG_20110709_121631.jpg

Apparently I can only put in two pictures per post. Will add another post because I want to show you the tubes.

I'm only planning on one tube in the car, but maybe could expand to two tubes/custom boxes in the future. You can see what the port looks like. I have no idea how this will affect the output of the SA-8. I know nothing about port/frequency tuning, but I'll be doing some research.

bazookas.jpg

Just to add more beef to this post, here's my old carputer. I converted it into a HTPC, but might put it back in the car since it struggles with 1080p playback:

DSC_4032.JPG

1. If you stick with that amp then you need a S4 or D2 ohm sub, which will give your 300 rms bridged.

2. The sub will do ok on that amp, you will be underpowering it...but not a bad thing, just it can handle more.

3. If the sub fits then for a temp setup it will be ok. Its suggested .5-.6^3 ported so your right at the cusp. I'd replace it as soon as you can though.

4. Bridge the rear channel and keep the fronts on channels 1 & 2. You could always run the front speakers off the headunit and bridge both sides of the amp to give you 300 per coil, but then you would need a D4 sub.

Nice looking car! Sundown is good stuff. Check Soundsolutionsaudio forum. The official Sundown forum is there often they have super deals on b-stock, old stock, closeouts, etc. on there and you're buying direct from Sundown. You get excellend quality and customer support and save a ton of dough.

1. If you stick with that amp then you need a S4 or D2 ohm sub, which will give your 300 rms bridged.2. The sub will do ok on that amp, you will be underpowering it...but not a bad thing, just it can handle more.

3. If the sub fits then for a temp setup it will be ok. Its suggested .5-.6^3 ported so your right at the cusp. I'd replace it as soon as you can though.

4. Bridge the rear channel and keep the fronts on channels 1 & 2. You could always run the front speakers off the headunit and bridge both sides of the amp to give you 300 per coil, but then you would need a D4 sub.
Based on your feedback, I think I'll buy the D4 sub and power the speakers off the stereo. Hopefully the fronts don't sound too bad without the amp. The bazooka is definitely temporary. Thanks for the helpful info.

i like your car
Thanks. It's a blast to drive, and cheap to own (compared to S2000's and such).

Nice looking car! Sundown is good stuff. Check Soundsolutionsaudio forum. The official Sundown forum is there often they have super deals on b-stock, old stock, closeouts, etc. on there and you're buying direct from Sundown. You get excellend quality and customer support and save a ton of dough.
Good tip. I'll check it out.

----------------------------

I've still got one issue to sort out. Out of nowhere, I started getting a loud pop every time I turn the car on/off. I think it's related to the left speaker, since it didn't move when I swapped the left/right at the amp, or stop when I unplugged the stereo (with the amp turn on lead hooked up). We'll what happens when I wire the speakers straight to the deck (instead of to the amp behind the seats).

Thought I'd post an update.

Last night / this morning, I re-wired the speakers straight to the stereo. Unfortunately, I had no room to mount the crossovers in the front of the car, so I'm running wires from the stereo (in front) to the crossovers (behind the seats) then back to the speakers (in the doors). Thankfully, this doesn't seem to have had a negative effect on anything.

I'm amazed at how much more power the sub puts out now. It's actually a JBL GT82D - I forgot I swapped out the Pioneer shallowmount a while back. The sub still sounds pretty crappy, but I just got off the phone with woofersetc and ordered my SA-8 D4. I decided to go with woofersetc since they're local (California), they matched SSA's retail price (~$120), and there weren't any B-Stock/Refurb deals on the Sundown/SSA forum.

I'll post again when the sub comes again.

So I just got back from lunch break (working night shifts for a few weeks). The speakers probably do need their own amplifier - I'm finding myself turning the volume higher, but at least I don't have to raise the SW output level to get bass.

I also have a tracking number from woofersetc already. Can't wait to get it!

Nice car! I turboed one awhile back... Not **** for room in one thou lol
I would love to do that' date=' but can't get away with it here in CA. Eventually I'll try to do some kind of smog-legal engine swap.

I have plenty of room after gutting the soft top. The car is great for weekend trips/etc now.

Not my picture, but this is how it looks. My tube is in the area where you see the metal/body (white). Amp in the tray on the right (behind driver seat). Still deciding where to permanently mount the crossovers.

[img']http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e215/pendejada/Car%20Pictures/0613111802.jpg[/img]

Is this typical for a new SA-8? I'm sure it's purely cosmetic in an area that isn't visible anyway, but still...

IMAG0010.jpg

IMAG0008.jpg

IMAG0006.jpg

Sadly, it doesn't fit in my bazooka tube - the "spokes" (I don't know what else to call them) hit the opening of the tube. I added a thick rubber gasket from another box I had, but it still doesn't seal. Guesslike it's time for a custom box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.