help with headers

yuegling2982
10+ year member

jeep member
i ahve a 93 jeep wrangle 4cyc. i ihave the trans geaed low and witha 2inch lift and 31inch tires its kinda of slow. i have torgues out the ass. but i would like more speed.i was thinking of putting new headers in. i would like to know which ones i should be looking into and any more suggestion about getting my speed up.

well, if you added bigger tires, etc...save the money on the headers, and change gears....let's say you have 3.55 gears stock with 28" tall tires, and then add bigger tires, you may now have a 3.0 gear ratio...so swap gears and gain the TQ back...

i just got out of jeeps mine was the following

1998 TJ with a 1995 2.5, currie antirock, psc stinger, AX-5, NP231 with AA SYE, high angle drivelne rear cv shaft, seperate tom woods cv shaft, ford reverse cut HP D44 with 5.38's/ARB/moser shaft/warn premium hubs/tj brackets. Ford nodular 9"/5.43's/ARB/Custom 4130 31 spline shafts/disk brakes, r.e. 5.5 LA, trailmax bestop seats, 2 soundbars with pioneer 4way 6.5's, MORE HD steering brace, more 1" motor mount lift, 36x13.50 on 15x8 rock crawlers. 500 miles on them, sailcloth top, Alpine cda-7897 phantom face, electric fan, 10lb CO2 tank with arb manifold.

i just sold it. i have pics if you want some though

now to answer your question. I was runnning 36's and 5.43 gears in the rear and i would max out at 65. that's around 3200rpm. if you want more top end, you have to gear higher which is numerically lower. Then you start to bog down that 2.5. i ran the 2.5 with 34's and 4.10 and my low end ******, especially on the trail. i could get up to around 70-75 in it but that was the pedal to the floor in 4th gear and running around 3K on the tach. basically your speed problem is that motor and you're not gonna ever be able to run past 80 in it doing bolt on mods.

i just got out of jeeps mine was the following
1998 TJ with a 1995 2.5, currie antirock, psc stinger, AX-5, NP231 with AA SYE, high angle drivelne rear cv shaft, seperate tom woods cv shaft, ford reverse cut HP D44 with 5.38's/ARB/moser shaft/warn premium hubs/tj brackets. Ford nodular 9"/5.43's/ARB/Custom 4130 31 spline shafts/disk brakes, r.e. 5.5 LA, trailmax bestop seats, 2 soundbars with pioneer 4way 6.5's, MORE HD steering brace, more 1" motor mount lift, 36x13.50 on 15x8 rock crawlers. 500 miles on them, sailcloth top, Alpine cda-7897 phantom face, electric fan, 10lb CO2 tank with arb manifold.

i just sold it. i have pics if you want some though

now to answer your question. I was runnning 36's and 5.43 gears in the rear and i would max out at 65. that's around 3200rpm. if you want more top end, you have to gear higher which is numerically lower. Then you start to bog down that 2.5. i ran the 2.5 with 34's and 4.10 and my low end ******, especially on the trail. i could get up to around 70-75 in it but that was the pedal to the floor in 4th gear and running around 3K on the tach. basically your speed problem is that motor and you're not gonna ever be able to run past 80 in it doing bolt on mods.
can you send a few pic of your stuff?

done.jpg

done1.jpg

done2.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

****, thats clean ass jeep bro. i like

as for gaining horsepower, how about running straight pipes after the header. thats if your town doesnt care for emissions and smog. K&N also makes a air filter element for most specific vehicles and universal ones that suposely add more/cleaner airflow thru the filter.

as for headers, not sure on brands, but a header can always help high end performance.

4-1 is ideal for high end rpm power

4-2-1 is ideal for mid-high

two piece 4-2-1 ... idk lol sry

hope that helps

do u want quiker acceleration? if yes, then definitely raise the rear gear ratio, however i dont know how that will adversely affect it being an offorad vehicle....

also, higher gear ratio gets u off the line quiker, but your top speed comes down a bit.... sacrifices we have to make.. i know.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

lower gear = top speed

higher gear = acceleration

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.