help please head unit or eq?

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hi guys, I have been doing some research about head units quality and eq to get the best out of your money and your audio system. Currently I think my head unit is an alpine cda-105 and while it have a some setups to control as an eq sometimes I feel that I want to put my rear speakers twitter down a little because it feels super harsh, but when I do it just dosnt feel right I have play with the amp crossover and with the Hu and still don't get what I'm looking for so, I I have heard that clarion eqs746 is a great eq for the money.

So to make the long question short... what would be better sale the Hu and save some money and buy a new one or just buy a eq (probably not spending more than 100) to get a better sound out of my system, this plan is for a ppi900. 4 and a set of re xxx 6.5, in the future I'll hook another set of re xxx 6.5 to the ppi, but for now just that an also an alpine f35 bridge to a jl 12 w0v3 for sub, my wires are kiker wire 4 gauge to each amp, and also knukonceptz 10 gauge wire from amp to speaker, fosgate rcas from Hu to amps

Hi guys, I have been doing some research about head units quality and eq to get the best out of your money and your audio system. Currently I think my head unit is an alpine cda-105 and while it have a some setups to control as an eq sometimes I feel that I want to put my rear speakers twitter down a little because it feels super harsh, but when I do it just dosnt feel right I have play with the amp crossover and with the Hu and still don't get what I'm looking for so, I I have heard that clarion eqs746 is a great eq for the money.
So to make the long question short... what would be better sale the Hu and save some money and buy a new one or just buy a eq (probably not spending more than 100) to get a better sound out of my system, this plan is for a ppi900. 4 and a set of re xxx 6.5, in the future I'll hook another set of re xxx 6.5 to the ppi, but for now just that an also an alpine f35 bridge to a jl 12 w0v3 for sub, my wires are kiker wire 4 gauge to each amp, and also knukonceptz 10 gauge wire from amp to speaker, fosgate rcas from Hu to amps
Forget that EQ idea, Its a complete and utterly a waste of money Its a parametric EQ, doesnt really do much other then chop and screw the sound quality over Literally makes no beneficial impact on sound quality, hell it can even allow additional noise into your system.

As of now, your head unit is the weakest part of your system. The biggest sound quality improvement you can make is with a good head unit. A good head unit will literally give you the perfect sound you want, it'll make cheap speakers sound like nice speakers and make good speakers sound phenominal. Most people think that a regular aftermarket head unit works fine, but they do not know the bliss of having an SQ oriented headunit with powerful sound processors that give a really strong clean signal. No more tweeter harshness, no more lack of midrange, everything louder, clearer with more detail.

Some good head units are kenwood x998, alpine 147bt, 148bt, 149bt. Pioneer 80 prs.

Would recommend the pioneer out of the 3 because it has a mic that auto EQs and tunes your system for you and does a nice time alignment/sound stage imaging. Its great if you are lazy and new to tuning. It also has advanced tuning options later on when you are more knowledgeable about tuning your system, going active and such.

I've had that clarion EQ on my past system and always played around with it for every song, was never really happy at all with how the system sounded. Switched to an 80prs and did the auto EQ/TA and BOOM sound quality magic! instantly happy, no need to even touch my EQ settings. Even if you want to touch it, it has a 16 band parametric EQ, VERY accurate compared to the clarion crap.

If you are still admant about buying the EQS746, i still have mines, just have some silicone on the sides from installation, still works fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.