Help on what type of box.. Flat or square or angled

Participant count
  • Participant list

lbzrider14
10+ year member

Mass
Hi, I got 2 rockford fosgate 12"s hooked up to a 1000 watt fusion amp. I wanted to know two things.. Should I bridge them or run them out of 2 channels? Also. I want the least amount of rattling outside my trunk as possible. Should I make a flat box so the speakers are facing up. Or facing the rear, or facing the driver? If anyone has tried different setups, please let me know. Thanks.

all i gotta say is, don't make a rectangular box. the subs will be fighting their own pressure cause the waves just go back and forth

goto:

http://www.the12volt.com

goto the box calcs section and scroll down to wedge enclosures 2. Make your box to specs.

Originally posted by Car Nut all i gotta say is, don't make a rectangular box. the subs will be fighting their own pressure cause the waves just go back and forth
Once again, Thats what it is supposed to do- hence the term "Accoustic Suspension" (Sealed Enclosure) The woofer is dependant upon the air in the enclosure providing the correct ammount of resistance to the cone in order to promote excursion- thus output. Basic Physics.....

A rectangular box is perfectly fine.

lbzrider14- Bridging your amplifier really depends on weather or not your amplifier can handle the final ohm load the woofers provide it.

Which series of Rockford 12's are you running?

SVC or DVC?

VC resistance? (ohms)

Now the amp- check on its spec sheet- is it at least 2 ohm mono bridgeable?

Running the subs either mono or stereo will not have any real time effect on the sound; mostly- if you are able to run them mono to the amp- the amplifier may be able to work a little harder and provide a little more output. - this comes from lowering the final ohm load the amplifier see's.

As for the rattling trunk bit and box positions- that one you are on your own with, Basically- try moving your enclosure arround and listening to it in different positions before you permanently install it. Your ears will tell you correctly. As for the rattling- - I would suggest looking into a dampening material such as Dynamat or High temp mastic to apply to your trunk- this usually aids in keeping unwanted resonance away.

take it easy,

-zane

zane's right, a rectangular box will just be alright, other ways... subwoofer companies wouldnt advice u to use rectangular boxes..WHICH... is included mostly in their manuals. a sealed rectangular box will be just perfect for that t nice tight bass.

Yeah Zane. Both 12's have an OHM load of 4 and the Amp's normal running load is 2.. so i figure if i run them setereo and than bridge them 2 get extra power, it shoudl be fine.. Am i correct

Originally posted by lbzrider14 Yeah Zane. Both 12's have an OHM load of 4 and the Amp's normal running load is 2.. so i figure if i run them setereo and than bridge them 2 get extra power, it shoudl be fine.. Am i correct
Almost correct- you would actually be wiring each voice coil in paralel to yield a 2 ohm mono load at the amplifier. Thus it wouldnt be stereo. Take a look at the pic below- that should get you on the right track.

Take it easy,

-zane

attachment.php

Bridging is done at the amplifier- instead of hooking the speaker wires into each separarate channel- you would use both channels as one. Posative to one side, negative to the other. Which side each wire goes to depends on the amp itself.

take it easy,

-zane

I have a question. I have just bought one 12" rfr 3112(power hx2) It has 2 2ohm voice coils. now my question is, how do i wire them for 2 ohms???

I was told you cant wire them for two ohms. only 1ohm or 4ohms. I bought the rockford bd1000.1 amp to power the sub. it gives off 500 watts at 4ohms but i want to give them the 1000watts the amp gives at 2 ohms.

Neeed helppppppppppp

thank you

spider

Sspider, what you have been told is correct. A 2ohm DVC sub can only be wired in Paralel at 1 ohm mono or Series at 4 ohm mono. On the good side of thigs though- your bd1000.1 should be able to handle the 1 ohm mono load. I had no trouble below 1 ohm with mine-just make sure it gets plenty of ventilation.

take it easy,

-zane

How do i ventilate it well:confused: //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

i dont want to fry n e thing

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.