help my out with these kenwoods

dbolm666
10+ year member

Hey quick question, i have two kenwood tornado 12" subs (the blue ones). one question is the subs are only 160 rms each, but i want them to hit hard, will i see it happen with these subs, i know they are only entry level subs but i seen freakin jensens hit hard. someone told me if i get a high power amp and a bandpass box, but i don't know. What type of amp should i get sony, profile, i'm looking to spend under 300.00 for my amp.

I would recomend the JBL bp600.1. I bought mine from ugonet.com for $187 over a month ago. I am running (2) JL 10w0-4's (rated for only 125 watts rms each) at 2 ohms the JBL is doing 600 rms, and pounding the hell out of them. Hope this helps.

I bought mine from ugonet.com, last I checked it droped to $185. I did a search through Yahoo (just type in bp600.1) and checked out about 20 dealers, and ugonet had them all beat by a few $. I placed the ordered, and received the amp in a week. Before purchasing, you might search this forum and others (I also like pacificaudio.com) for the bp series amps. The only thing I don't like about the amp is that it only has 6dB of bass boost, which is not enough for my liking. But, I had an external crossover with 12 dB so that made up for it. I have read several posts reguarding the bp1200.1, all good. I just felt like that was way to much power for me (JBL amps are said to be underrated). I think those are around $240? Hope this helps.

The previous unregistered post is mine. I forgot to say that crutchfield usually has very good technical information, but they are about the most expensive electronics retailer around, aside from your local stereo shop.

Originally posted by Unregistered I bought mine from ugonet.com, last I checked it droped to $185. I did a search through Yahoo (just type in bp600.1) and checked out about 20 dealers, and ugonet had them all beat by a few $. I placed the ordered, and received the amp in a week. Before purchasing, you might search this forum and others (I also like pacificaudio.com) for the bp series amps. The only thing I don't like about the amp is that it only has 6dB of bass boost, which is not enough for my liking. But, I had an external crossover with 12 dB so that made up for it. I have read several posts reguarding the bp1200.1, all good. I just felt like that was way to much power for me (JBL amps are said to be underrated). I think those are around $240? Hope this helps.
hows the profile clarus addition,

ii heard they were decent what do you think, i dont know because i'm just getting into the car audio scene. do you think that is enough power for my subs

Key Features:

300 watts x 2 at 2 ohms

600 watts x 1 in bridged mode

requires 4-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier

stereo, bridged mono or Tri-Way output

MOSFET power supplies

40-500 Hz continuously variable low- and high-pass crossovers, 12 dB/octave

anti-thump circuit for quiet turn on/off

accepts up to 4-gauge power and ground wire

accepts up to 6-gauge speaker wire

0-18 dB variable bass boost at 45 Hz

gold-plated preamp inputs and block terminals

speaker-level inputs

preamp outputs

power light strip

dimensions: 17-1/2"W x 2-5/8"H x 10-3/16"D

2-year warranty

This is Jeff again, I can't seem to get my screenname to work...anyway I have heard of profile, but I have never known anyone who has used them. I would tend to stick toward the better known brands (like the old saying goes...you get what you pay for). That amp in particular may not be 2 ohm stable bridged, some amps are. The jbl bp's are stable down to 1 ohm. Of course this all depends on how you plan on hooking it up. I am assuming your subs are 4 ohm, so you can run them 4 ohm stereo or 2 ohm bridged (depending on the amp). The amp you are referring to (I think) is rated at 150 watts rms x2 at 4 ohms. That is less that the subs are rated at. I would go at least as much or more(only moderately) than the sub ratings. My best advice to you would be to not make a hasty decision. Read all you can, and base your desicion on quality per dollar. Searches on forums like these can really help. BTW, I think those subs will sound fine. Hope this helps.

thanks bro, yeah the subs are 4 ohm but everyone is telling me they ****, i got no clue, i just got into the game of car audio, is there a way to make them hit harder, maybe modifying them or getting a bandpass box. yeah i'll get the jbl, bp600.1 now what were you talking about a crossover, and how would i hook them up to the amp to get the most power out of them, bridged , or sumthin. thanks so far for your help

If this helps, I never new anyone with Pioneer or free-air subs until my friend bought a pair of 12" Pioneer free-airs. I was sceptical at first. He put them in a sealed box, hooked them up to an off-brand amp (Koiiler 800W?) and they would literally punish you. I guess what I am trying to say is "don't knock 'em 'til you've tried them". I don't know anything about bandpass boxes, sorry. I have only had trucks, and you pretty much have to stick with a sealed box (space-wise). Your only choice is to wire them in parallel on the JBL mono amps, which is essentially bridged. This will create a 2 ohm load, and the amp will produce 600 watts+ rms. Don't abuse the power and keep your gains at a resonable level or you will blow your subs. I would try it first without an external crossover. If it is not enough bass, then buy one with a bass boost (or gain) for maybe $70 or less. I am using a GM factory HU, so that could be my problem. It will plug in-line using rca jacks between your HU and amp, and will also require power. Good Luck.

The sony d-class amps are nice for around 200 bones.@4 ohms you get 300w rms@2 ohms you get 600w rms and @ 1 ohm you get 1000w rms so its a hard amp to beat for the price.I have one and it rocks man.//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

well i can say the profile amps are good quality for the buck....definatly not the best but not thw worst either....i believe they are 2 ohm stable...they will get a little warm but as long as you have good ventilation you should have not problem w/ them.....and the best way to make a speaker sound better is to put it in a box....there are basicly 3 types of boxes to use....sealed- best for sound quality requires a little more power for best sound/ ported-best for spl or loud bass requires less power to best sound/ 3rd is bandpass which i do not recomend at all they dont have a very good frequency range....they sound great in the frequency range they are tuned for but everything outside of the range sounds distored and muddy....kinda a one note wonder....and crossovers are best applied right before the amp and they block out certain frequencies so that clean and specific sounds go to your amp .....depending on what your bass needs are the crossover points will be diff....good luck and hope i've helped....i also dont recomend the sony amps unless it is a sony es series which to my understanding has been discontinued....and try to get the rms power output on your amp close to the rms input of your sub....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.