help i think i fried my amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

brooksi
10+ year member

ok i have a legacy LA490 600 watt amp pushin 2 JBL GT Series 10's. I am using 8ga wire. My problem is whenever i turn it on the green power doesnt come on any more now the red protection light comes on can somebody please tell me what that means?? i am just wondering if i need to get a new amp or a way to fix the one i have

nope he means that you have to connect your subs differently...it could be that you have them connected in parallel...try connecting them individually to each speaker output terminal...ie...connect your left sub to the left output...and the right sub to the right output

how many channels does your amp have ?

if thats still not working...check your ground connection...it may have become loose

good luck

its a 2 channel amp, i noticed that when i touched the end of the ground wire to the amp it didnt do anything and i know normally when u have the battery connected it should spark so maybe my ground is loose

i tried just putting it back into its channel, do you think i should rip up the carpet and check it? i was thinking of running 4ga wire anyway so if it doesnt work with my 8ga then i am going to rewire it with 4ga maybe it will work then

well before ripping up your carpet...you can use a circuit tester to check that your are actually gettin current in your cables...if you are gettin current then go ahead and rewire...if you are not gettin current...then i believe there MAY be something wrong with your amp

good luck

You might want a new amp!!!//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.