Hello all. Its been a while.... Need some bass!

Participant count
  • Participant list

DrtySthV6SE
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Its been many years since I've posted or even browsed around on this forum. The last time I posted I had an ED Nine.1 and 2, RE Audio components, and x2 Soundsplinter 12" RL-p setup. Now it seems that Elemental Designs and Soundsplinter are no more... am I getting old... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Getting to the point, I drive a 2013 4d Civic and really am missing the sound and feel of a subwoofer. I was looking at the TC Sounds Epic 8" or 10" but I've been browsing for a few days on the forum and see that Sundown Audio is new and popular, especially the SA 8" V2.

Mainly I want some nice clean SQ bass that I can feel, but I want to use minimal trunk space. I also don't want to have to do extensive electrical upgrades like I had with my previous setup. I also want to keep my stock radio (jeez that sounds lame) and just run an LOC for the sub amp.

Here is what I am considering:

AudioControl LC2i line out converter. (is this overkill for what I want or a necessary good quality upgrade from a 20$ LOC?)

(1) SA 8" V2 or 8" Epic or should I go with a similar 10"? Of course I want (2) but going this route will require a larger amp and probably some power upgrades that I really don't want to fool with on my new car, and a bigger box of course.

I've always run sealed boxes so I wanted to stick with that.

Will I be happy with an 8" or 10" running 500 - 800watts? I've never run sub(s) that small. I listen to mostly rock/metal, not too much rap anymore.

I'm "older" now so I don't care to set off car alarms, just want some nice bass for my car.

Hopefully looking to pick up a nice used amp from the forum and also saw a guy selling some rebuilt SA 8s.

I think that covers it. I appreciate the input.

Doing a very similar upgrade in a 2014 3-series in the next few weeks. Soundqubed Q-1200D powering 1 10" soundqubed HDS310 D2 sub in a 1.25 cu ft ported box tuned to 36Hz. Going to probably use a cheap LOC. Price for box, sub, and amp is 460. That's 1200W, the amp is efficient and should be fine off your stock electrical system.

Quite pricey new, but check out a JL cleansweep. The lc2i is a good choice too. Those stock hu's put out very little bass at higher volume, purposely.

My vote is for the Epics. Awesome little subs that don't need much power. Is there a certain budget you are trying to stay within? If price isn't as much the issue you could get a Stereo Integrity Bm mkiv which is a super low profile 12" sub made for small enclosures and low power.

Budget is not really an issue but not planning to spend too much anyway see that I was only looking at a single sub setup and keeping stock HU. LC2i is $76 on Amazon, I think ill definitely go with that. I thought about low profile subs but a few inches of mounting depth won't hurt me. Epic 10" is only 5.6" deep. That Soundqubed deal does seem pretty nice, but the more I look at the Epic the more I want it! Why did I sell my RL-p's?! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

Ok, 1 vote for the Epic....

Make sure you understand the difference between those two drivers. The Epic should have amazing lows and will also be very musical in the proper enclosure. However, for those lows, I think it will need a good amount over the 500W RMS. Additionally, I'm pretty certain the SQ woofer will have more output, though I haven't listened to it long enough to comment on the low end extension.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.