Headunit wiring

Participant count
  • Participant list

agarabaghi
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Quick question... I got my JBL PRV 170 bluetooth marine headunit.

There is a harness that clips into the unit and it has 8 speaker wires (which i wont be using) and then the 4 colored wires. They are labeled but not in a typical fashion.

I have the same 4 colors coming from my harness in the boat... im assuming just match the colors?

Here is what is labeled:

Red: ACC

Yellow: B/UP+B

Blue: Auto ANT

Black: GND

Im assuming:

Red is 12v+

Yellow: is the memory

Blue: remote on

Black: Ground

??

so I just tried to give the headunit 12v hooked directly up to a battery on the red yellow and blue, and ground it to the battery to see if it would power on... nothing...

there are 2 inline fuses coming from the boat, one on the red and 1 on the yellow... since the sony fired up, im going to assume that those are ok?

I will try to replace the inline fuse on the headunit (even though it looks ok)...

so I just tried to give the headunit 12v hooked directly up to a battery on the red yellow and blue, and ground it to the battery to see if it would power on... nothing...
The blue wire is not to be connected to power, it is there to send power out to an amplifier turn on circuit or to a power antenna.

Yea i didnt mean blue sorry. Was in a rush typing. I went and check all the fuses. They are all working. Red and YEllow have power (on meter) and ground is hooked up... unit will not power on. Sent it back already

Got the new unit and hooked it up. Everything seems ok but my amp goes into "short" mode saying I have a short somewhere. What are some things I should check?

It shorts when the volume turns up. I've purchased all new 0/1 and 4awg wire to re run the battery and amp powers. I'm pretty sure I don't have the polarity reversed on the speakers, but is there anyway to tell which is pos and which is negative if you can't trace the wire back to the speaker very easily?

Got the new unit and hooked it up. Everything seems ok but my amp goes into "short" mode saying I have a short somewhere. What are some things I should check?
It shorts when the volume turns up. I've purchased all new 0/1 and 4awg wire to re run the battery and amp powers. I'm pretty sure I don't have the polarity reversed on the speakers, but is there anyway to tell which is pos and which is negative if you can't trace the wire back to the speaker very easily?
- Check all speaker wires and speaker connections (at amp and speaker terminals) carefully to make sure they are not shorted to each other or to ground

- Turn your amp gains down

- Having speaker polarity flipped won't overload your amp, but if you can't see the markings on your speakers, then here is an easy way to check with a small battery:

Will do. Im going to wait for my package from knu and re do all the power and grounds. I think the humidity and NON ofc cables might have messed up some stuff =(

Can someone suggest some decent battery terminals.

I have these: P3 Platinum Positive (+) Battery Terminal Block 263-681

but they just don't seem to get tight, even though the meter shows 14+v... they just feel loose

This is the aux battery: Amazon.com: Exide 78DTXCD Orbital Sealed Maintenance-Free Deep-Cycle AGM Automotive Battery: Automotive

Im really not sure why the terminals are loose though...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.