Head unit turns on, but sound is intermittent

kråžê™
10+ year member

My head unit powers on, but the sound will cut in and out from all speakers, including the sub. For a couple minutes it will be playing fine, then seemingly out of nowhere the sound will completely cut out, for all modes (radio and cd) and through all speakers, including the sub.

This can't be a blown fuse since the head unit stays powered on while the sound cuts out right?

I have an Eclilpse 5425 that I've had for about 4 years now and never had this problem.

you'll want to redo the connections at the head unit and at the speakers. it's possible one of the speaker wires is shorting out.

how were connections done? solder and heat shrink? crimp connectors? wrap and tape?

My head unit powers on, but the sound will cut in and out from all speakers, including the sub. For a couple minutes it will be playing fine, then seemingly out of nowhere the sound will completely cut out, for all modes (radio and cd) and through all speakers, including the sub.
This can't be a blown fuse since the head unit stays powered on while the sound cuts out right?

I have an Eclilpse 5425 that I've had for about 4 years now and never had this problem.
Gday Mate, I've been searching the web for answers to the same question now and found nothing.

I've got an Eclipse 5415, had it for over 5 years now, and get the same symptoms. However I've narrowed it down somewhat. When the car is not running, just have accessories on, the headunit will play no worries. When the car starts up it will run for a little while then cut out sound, the unit is still running/powered and counting seconds for the cd elapsed time. Sometimes it will come back and then no sound a few seconds later again and it's gone untill next time the car is restarted.

I've tried multiple things, origianlly thought it might be the spare speaker wires shorting so I checked them, they were still all heat shrunk. Same as the remote and antenna wires.

I then thought maybe it was my earth been a bit loose or not clean, checked it, and moved it and got the multimeters onto connections, nope not earth. If the earth was dodgy the whole unit wouldn't operate, not just sound.

Last of all I've checked the constant and accessories power wires, first off for connections. All my connections are soldered and heat shrunk insulated. I got my multimeter out to check I had sufficient voltage getting to the unit. Yep no worries there. I noticed that my accessories had a slightly lower voltage than my constant power wire. I thought maybe it could've been an over voltage spike causing the unit to shut off ouputs or something so double checked the operating voltage which is 14.4v (11-16v) I was well within this been mainly at 13.8 at the constant and 13.35 at accessories with the car engine running.

I then thought I'd eliminate the constant power from the equation so I connected both power wires to an accesories only wire in the car (obviously wouldn't save radio presets/clock etc), it was then that I watched my voltage on the multimeter. With the car off it was at 12.8v and the headunit ran no worries, once the car started it initially dropped then rapidly started climbing got to around 13.20v and slowed down as the battery was slowly getting charged, headunit still working fine. As it slowly crept up in volts .01v at a time I noticed it got up near 13.30v and the headunit sound cutout. I turned on the headlights and the volts dropped below 13.30v and back came the sound, turned the lights off and off went the sound. I did the same by turning the aircon on and off, and same thing as the volts dropped the sound came back, turn off the accessory and the volts increased and the headunit no longer produced sound.

So for some reason it appears my headunit will no longer function when recieving more than 13.25v, above this it started dropping out randomly, but above 13.30v absolutely nothing.

So considering the operating voltage is meant to be between 11-16v I can only assume that something internal has issues.

As I'm no guru on this maybe someone else could shed some light.

Smithy

Did you replace a speaker? if your door speakers are grounded to the car, IE a screw forced through a hole marring the metal then the unit will go into protect. That is if the chassis of the speaker is grounding to the car. Disconnect one speaker at a time and see if it fixes things

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.