head unit turn on wire help

Participant count
  • Participant list

Isaac
10+ year member

Iowa
I just bought a new head unit (Pioneer 15ub i think) and i soldered all of the connections and made sure i did it right. I plugged it in to my car and it didn't come on. After about 2 hours of trouble shooting I have come up that the red ignition turn on wire is not reading on my volt meter with the ground. I cut the red wire and put it on the power wire and it came on. When I put the volt meter to the car's plug in where the ignition goes out and the ground, i only get like .2 volts. Is there any where else I could put the turn on wire?

It sounds like the vehicles acc lead is not getting power. First off what year, make and model of vehicle is it? Then check your factory radio/acc fuse, it could be something as simple as that but I really need to know the make and model because you may have to make a jumper lead to another switching source.

You may have the ignition and power wires swapped. Based on installdr dot com the factory ignition is yellow and it should go to the red wire on new harness while the yellow wire on the new harness should go to orange factory wire. Seems odd they don't use the yellow to yellow.

Pin What It Is Typical GM Factory Typical New Radio

In Dash Wire Color Equivalent Wire Color

I +12 Volt Ignition Wire Yellow Red

J +12 Volt Battery Wire Orange Yellow

harness says that yellow is 12v constant and so does the does the head unit's manual. It says the orange on the harness is and illumination wire.

The harness wrapper says the yellow wire is 12v constant and so does the head unit's owner's manual. The harness says orange is illumination.

U have to run a acc or switch power for that car, most GM cars from 2002 to 2005 need this
wouldn't the ignition wire be the switched power, meaning the hu only operates when the ignition key is in the 'on' or 'acc' position?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.