head unit skipping

PepsiFiend69
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
i jsut hooked up my 2 kicker l7's and they slam. but i have a problem, i cant turn my head unit up past 1/2 because the bass makes it skip, its a sony CDX-2010, ( i know, shitty). i plan on getting an alpine 9851 after christmas, buuut, is there any way to keep my shitty sony from skipping untill i get a new one, it doesnt have to be anything expensive just something simple. my friend at school suggested wrapping the area in Dynamat, i only have about 8 square inches of it left. i dont want to have to put anymore money into that shitty thing than i already have. any suggestions?

Is it cold where you live? Head Units normally skip in the cold. I have a Sony CDX-F7700 and it skips whenever the bass hits and its cold out side.

yeah it is cold, but it was warmer today and it still skipped. it skips bad no matter what though, even when i go around corners it'll skip bad.

i actually was having this problem for the past week and just fixed it today

your best bet is to backstrap the deck, but i wasnt able to do this...i had about an inch of room underneath between where my headunit sits and a metal plate and i just stuffed that area with padding and now it plays perfectly fine with the bass all the way up

My old sony unit used to skip so bad. I got the 9851 and it is great, though mp3s can skip at times. All I use is mp3 playback now, it's great with mp3s and loads them pretty fast.

I can't lie,the Alpine kicks the Sony's ass in everyway. Sound is much much cleaner and clearer, and most importantly no more skipping. Take it from a guy who bought a fair amount of Xplod equipment, it *****.

Oh yea one more thing, I would probably spring for the 9853 to get the eq, I kinda wish I did now.

I have a pioneer premier deh-p8mp and latelty it has started to skip when i have the bass up. Yes i live in a cold area but the vehicle had been warmed up completely. Tried a cd lens cleaner and tryed bracing w/cardboard( just to try to see if it would work with less vibrations)and this helped a little, as it would because it works fine w/o the system on. I think it has some thing to do w/the pressure the bass produces. Im not saying my system is badass, but its pretty loud, so i thin its something internal that is causing the problem. Now ive read on here about people getting them fixed, what part did they replace? Is it the picup assembly? Also, what is the part they replace when they fixed the problem where they dont spit out the cd completely? Thans in advance.

how do you backstrap a HU? Mine DEH-P7700 skipps when my L5s hit in some songs, but in others it will play fine. I have it secure as possible besides backstraping it, which i dont know what that means, or wrapping it in anything.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.