Head unit shuts off

Participant count
  • Participant list

Alm3ga

Yesterday I tried to install a pair of 5 1/4" speakers for my highs. My system consists of: 800w Sony explod, 2 12" kicker cvrs in a custom box and a 300w amp hooked up to a pair of 6x9"s. I ran speaker wire for the 5 1/4"s back to my trunk and I spliced it into the speaker outputs of the 300w amp to test the sound. I tried the speakers on the amp before without the 6x9"s hooked up and it worked fine. So I tried them out and when the volume gets up to about 16-18 everything cuts off for about a second and turns right back on. I unhooked the 5 1/4" to see if that was the problem, but it still does it even though it's back to the way it originally was before when it worked perfectly. Any help would be greatly appreciated, if you have any questions just ask.

-Alm

Do you have the 5 1/4's and the 6x9 in the same speakers terminals on the amp, like is it a 2 ch or 4 ch., if it's just shutting off and restarting it could be that it isnt getting enough voltage, or it may be overheating, what ohm load do you have the speakers wired to?

The amp is 2 channels, I just spliced the 5 1/4's into the correct terminals on the amp. So it's only 2 channels, but it's running 4 speakers. It didn't shut off until after I hooked up the 5 1/4's, so I thought it was shutting off because of the extra load. I unhooked the 5 1/4's and the system still shuts off.. That's the part that doesn't make sense to me.

-Alm

What are the specs on the amp?

Assuming your speakers are 4 ohms each, the amp cannot handle the 2 ohms and it is overloading. Or you could have a bad ground, Or bad/poor 12V connection/current flow.

Contingent on the ohm load, you may have partially "fried" your amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.