Head unit recommendations for newbie?

dasaesthetics

florida
I have a 1999 mitsubishi montero sport. In crutchfield it asks me if my vehicle has the infinity system, how do I check for that? I don't see the logo around, nor do i have any amps below the seat. I also use an Android phone, no ipods or iphones.

My budget is equal to or below $100

Have these four on my sights so far

Kenwood KDC-162U CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Kenwood KMM-108U Digital media receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield.com

Pioneer DEH-X2800UI (2015 Model) CD receiver at Crutchfield.com

Pioneer MVH-X370BT (2014 Model) Digital media receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield.com

Leaning towards the kenwood kdc 162u

Last edited by a moderator:
cool features like what? someone also told me to ditch kenwood and get an alpine model
While no one can say anything bad about alpine units, they do tend to be a few bucks more for the same features when compared to kenwood, pioneer, jvc. Yes they are great, but when on a bang for buck budget it dosnt get my vote. I have ran a alpine HU before and had nothing but good experiences.

My fav bell of the newer HUs is built in BT, i use my hands free all the time. People can hear me pretty well, but what makes it great is it stops the song and displays whos calling on the unit. No more missed phone calls due to music.

JVC KD-X320BTS Digital Media Car Stereo w/ Pandora Support for $90 bucks its hard to beat. Has 2 2.5V preouts so you can run sub and some fronts later on via external amp plus 24bit DAC. Good unit, ide take this over that kenwood any day.

Honestly your looking at budget units, there all going to preform about the same. They dont start standing out from one another till you spend the big bucks. So just try and get as many features you like in one unit, dont worry about the brand so much.

Heres alpines cheapest BT unit, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_68934_Alpine-CDE-143BT.html

While no one can say anything bad about alpine units, they do tend to be a few bucks more for the same features when compared to kenwood, pioneer, jvc. Yes they are great, but when on a bang for buck budget it dosnt get my vote. I have ran a alpine HU before and had nothing but good experiences.
My fav bell of the newer HUs is built in BT, i use my hands free all the time. People can hear me pretty well, but what makes it great is it stops the song and displays whos calling on the unit. No more missed phone calls due to music.

JVC KD-X320BTS Digital Media Car Stereo w/ Pandora Support for $90 bucks its hard to beat. Has 2 2.5V preouts so you can run sub and some fronts later on via external amp plus 24bit DAC. Good unit, ide take this over that kenwood any day.

Honestly your looking at budget units, there all going to preform about the same. They dont start standing out from one another till you spend the big bucks. So just try and get as many features you like in one unit, dont worry about the brand so much.

Heres alpines cheapest BT unit, Alpine CDE-143BT Single-Din Bluetooth 3.0 Car Stereo w/ Aux
i'm really digging the jvc and im ready to buy only just one concern

If i buy it at crutchfield, it's refurbished valued at $79, but i get the installation gear half off

JVC KD-X320BTS Digital media receiver (does not play CDs) at Crutchfield.com

is the installation gear necessary? sonic has it at 89 but its non-refurb.

If i buy it at crutchfield, it's refurbished valued at $79, but i get the installation gear half off

If you already have a dash kit(aftermarket radio) in your car then not really no but if your still on the stock radio then yes you need it.

Just buy it from sonic, they include free install gear too

ps- referb is usually fine but i like knowing mine is new

you need install gear period. Crutchfield and sonic gives metra brand install gear on orders 120 dollars or more, is better quality than most of the junk dash/wiring harness on amazon. The head unit is the most important part of your audio setup. i'd shoot for something better than what you are going for. The cheaper head units have poor Digital audio convertors, only 12 or 16 bit or so, not much of an upgrade in sound at all from stock head unit. Its basically features and thats it. I would never get refurbished either.

you need install gear period. Crutchfield and sonic gives metra brand install gear on orders 120 dollars or more, is better quality than most of the junk dash/wiring harness on amazon. The head unit is the most important part of your audio setup. i'd shoot for something better than what you are going for. The cheaper head units have poor Digital audio convertors, only 12 or 16 bit or so, not much of an upgrade in sound at all from stock head unit. Its basically features and thats it. I would never get refurbished either.
Read my post when I suggested the jvc, 24bit DAC

If you're planning on building a basic system you should get a HU with 2 sets of preouts so you can run front components on a multi channel amp and a sub on a mono amp. Rarely will you find a HU that for under $100 but JoshC above apparently found one and linked it for you. I'd get that.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.