Head Unit installation short?

Participant count
  • Participant list

jackjohn13
10+ year member

Boston
Hey guys, last night i posted asking why my head unit wouldnt work. I was going to install a new HU in a care i just bought... however when i went to pull the wiring harness out of the radio are the live wires touched. Im almost positive that this caused a short. I got a response telling me to check the head room fuse. While i was testing the fuses i found that 7 of them were indeed bad. The only thing is when i tried replacing one of the bad fuses with a brand new one it still didnt work. Im wondering if their blowing right when i put them in? Has anyone had a prblem like this and if so what did you do. Im eager to get my system going this is just a giant headache. Any info would be greatly appreciated. And the car is a 98 VW golf if that helps at all

When installing your fuses you should be able to tell right away when it blows. Having said this have you installed your new radio or do you still have all the wire bare.

If your radio is installed, the either there is a fuse under the hood or in another fuse panel that needs replacing OR you radio is incorrectly installed causing the short.

If the radio is not installed AND if you haven't done so by now, isolate and tape up the ends of all wires individually, then try replacing fuses, again there could be another fuse under the hood that needs replacing or in another fuse panel elsewhere in the car.

GL

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.