Head Unit in a 94 Explorer

pwayzjellyroll
10+ year member

Master Debater
I want to install a HU that I bought my mom for christmas for her explorer. Just starting to get time to do it but I wanted to know what will I need to mount it in there? Right now I only bought the wiring harness. Is there a special way to put it in, or does it kinda just screw in some how? Any help is appreciated. Also if it matters in an Alpine 9487 HU.

You shouldn't need a mounting kit for your vehicle. My g/f had a '93 Explorer and it was a DIN sized opening, and I don't believe that changed in the '94s.

You will need the Ford headunit removal tool, which is sold at Walmart in the stereo section. Looks like a metal "U" with notches in the end. Makes easy, quick removal of the Ford factory HU.

After that's out you just insert the cage for your Alpine into the opening, bend down the appropriate tabs so it stays in place, then connect the HU wiring and slide the HU into the cage.

You shouldn't need a mounting kit for your vehicle. My g/f had a '93 Explorer and it was a DIN sized opening, and I don't believe that changed in the '94s.
You will need the Ford headunit removal tool, which is sold at Walmart in the stereo section. Looks like a metal "U" with notches in the end. Makes easy, quick removal of the Ford factory HU.

After that's out you just insert the cage for your Alpine into the opening, bend down the appropriate tabs so it stays in place, then connect the HU wiring and slide the HU into the cage.

I believe he is right I dont think they changed until 96 or 97.

'95, actually. No mounting kit is needed for the head unit, but most '94 Explorers have a factory amp. If so, you'll need a different type of Ford wire harness than the standard one.

'95, actually. No mounting kit is needed for the head unit, but most '94 Explorers have a factory amp. If so, you'll need a different type of Ford wire harness than the standard one.
This is correct and would typically apply to the Eddie Bauer or Limited. PITA on some of them with the amp in the passenger rear quarter.

Not sure if the antenna extension will be needed though. I believe its connected at the amp, with a connection under the passenger dash, although that may only be on the '95+

This is correct and would typically apply to the Eddie Bauer or Limited. PITA on some of them with the amp in the passenger rear quarter.
Not sure if the antenna extension will be needed though. I believe its connected at the amp, with a connection under the passenger dash, although that may only be on the '95+

The rear tuner system is only used with the double-din radios, so it's '95+. Almost all the 4-door Explorers through '94 used the rear factory amp, though, even if there's no premium sound logo. Some had a second amplifier for a factory subwoofer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.