Head Unit for Android Tablet

malditos

Hi guys. I'm looking for a HU for my '05 Sedan Civic Hybrid. I've never upgraded the stock system on it but I'm finally ready to do so. I've got the speaker setup ready to go, a pair of Boston Acoustic SR50's powered by a Boston Acoustics GT-2125 amp for front speakers. I'm going to leave the stock speakers on the rear and use them as fill in whenever I need to, powered by the HU. I also have a couple of Orion P12D2 subs powered by a RT Audio F2000/1 amp that will go in the trunk.

Now, for the nitty gritty. I have an old Gen5 iPod that I would like to control with the head unit, though this will not be my primary source of audio. I also have an Android tablet which will be my main audio source, most likely through Aux, and will be controlled mostly from the actual tablet interface. I also have an android phone which I hope to pair with the HU for hands free calling....

So.. given all that, what is a good HU that will have the following:

At least 1 aux port though 2 would be preferable (front and back). This, along with the BT will be the main audio source coming from the tablet so I think a good Aux input is a must;

At least 1 usb port though again 2 would be preferable (front and back) so I can hook up an iPod (5th gen) and be able to control it from the HU or a flash drive;

Bluetooth connectivity with A2DP so I can both use hands free calling as well as stream audio from a bt enabled device to the HU, wired microphone included if possible;

At least 4 rca outs (front and rear stage pair) since though I am only using the front pair of rca's I may want to add rear speakers later. I know ultimately, the preamp quality is going to determine what kind of SQ I get overall so, of course, I want to have some good preamps;

and if possible HD radio....

Yeah, I know this sounds like an awful lot and I know most companies out there are putting out their 2012 HU's out soon but most of the webpages I got still don't have the new models out for sale and the old models are nowhere to be seen....

So far, the models I've seen that I like are:

Alpine: CDE-133BT - I don't know if this has an external wired mic nor if I can control the iPod with a regular iPod cable and not the KCU-445i cable recommended by Alpine. Also, it only comes with one pair of rca's.

Kenwood: KDC-X895 - I'm not sure if the BT on this is A2DP compatible to stream music to the unit.

Clarion: FZ502 or CZ302 - I can't seem to find these models anywhere on sale. It seems they are the new lines of Clarion's for 2012. Is there anything from Clarion that is comparable to these two units currently available?

Right now I'm leaning towards the Kenwood as it seems to have most of the things I need, but I'm always open to suggestions.

I couldn't tell ya man, you'd have to go look at Alpine's site
If it is that'd be sweet, cuz I'm def thinking about going active
Weird....it doesn't really say on their site if it does or not..

Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Sound Tuning

Subwoofer Level Adjustment: 0 to +15

High Pass Filter: OFF/60/80/120/160Hz (Selectable)

Low Pass Filter: OFF/60/80/120/160Hz (Selectable)

Bass Level Control Range: -7 to +7

Bass Center Frequency: 60/80/100/120Hz (Selectable)

Bass Band Width Adjustment (Q): 4 choices (0.5 =narrow, 2 =wide)

Mid Level Control Range: -7 to +7

Mid Center Frequency: 500/1i??/1.5i??/2.5i??Hz (Selectable)

Mid Band Width Adjustment (Q): 4 choices (0.75 =narrow, 1.5 =wide)

Treble Level Control Range: A?7dB(1Step)

Treble Center Frequency: 7.5/10/12.5/15kHz (Selectable)

Treble Band Width Adjustment (Q): 2 choices

Weird....it doesn't really say on their site if it does or not..Alpine Electronics of America, Inc.

Sound Tuning

Subwoofer Level Adjustment: 0 to +15

High Pass Filter: OFF/60/80/120/160Hz (Selectable)

Low Pass Filter: OFF/60/80/120/160Hz (Selectable)

Bass Level Control Range: -7 to +7

Bass Center Frequency: 60/80/100/120Hz (Selectable)

Bass Band Width Adjustment (Q): 4 choices (0.5 =narrow, 2 =wide)

Mid Level Control Range: -7 to +7

Mid Center Frequency: 500/1i??/1.5i??/2.5i??Hz (Selectable)

Mid Band Width Adjustment (Q): 4 choices (0.75 =narrow, 1.5 =wide)

Treble Level Control Range: A?7dB(1Step)

Treble Center Frequency: 7.5/10/12.5/15kHz (Selectable)

Treble Band Width Adjustment (Q): 2 choices
Hmmm, weird, either way, it's a great head unit for the price it seems like.

The CDE-123 does not give 3-way T/A. It only offers HPF on the front/rear and LPF on the sub. No T/A at all.

No current Alpine HU does 3-way T/A. The last to do that was the 9887. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif But the 9887 is a nice piece and can be had for the $200 price tag on the CDE-123. Plus, CDE models lacks any Ai-Net capability - so no processors or anything.

If you get the CDA-117 and add the H800 then you get an 8 channel processor with 4-way active capability. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif or 2-way front, rear, and sub.

The CDA-117 does give 6 channel T/A, but no active crossover option other than HPF on front/rear.

That's what I was afraid of. Thanks for the info. Still not a bad HU for the price. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif It sure gets expensive when you get into the CDA-117 + H800 territory. Very low noise, awesome specs everywhere else. I think I would stick with a 9887 if given the choice.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.