head unit cuts out randomly

Participant count
  • Participant list
This just started recently, and without making any changes to the system. It will be playing fine, and then randomly cut out. I can hear audiable noises, like pops and static when it does this. I immediately shut the hu off, but then if I turn it back on after a bit, it works again. Of course the same thing will happen again randomly. I'm going to check the wiring on the back of the hu today at work. My guess is that it's a wiring issue, or my hu needs ro be replaced. Has anyone had an issue similiar to this, and could possibly tell me what it could be? Thank you to any help out there.

Also, I forgot to mention that the hu doesn't actually lose power, but all speakers and sub lose sound.

A wire has worked itself loose, or is shorting out to ground.

Start by carefully checking the power, switched power (ACCY), and ground connections going to the HU.

Is the HU driving any speakers directly? If so, then check if any of those speakers are shorted to ground or have a blown coil.

Post your HU make & model and I can tell you which color wires to check.

Ok, the hu is a blaunkput tokyo rdm 169. Im checking all the wires behind the hu right now, but everything appears fine. I must keep looking. It just not the same driving without the system. I need it.

Yes, I believe so. The person I got the car from is using rcas, and the speaker outputs, I believe. I will take the door panels off tomorrow after work, and check the wiring there. I get up at 4 every day, and work 12 hours 6 days a week, and I work an hour away. This doesn't leave me with much time to work on it, but I will do what I can, so I can get it back.

OK - I've been trying to logic through this. Since the speakers *and* subs cut out together when it happens, it seems the problem has to be between the headunit output and the input to the amplifiers.

How many RCA cables are connected to the back of the head unit? I am wondering if the sub is daisy chained off the speaker amp or vice versa. It might be worth it to just shotgun this and try replacing the RCA cables from HU to amps.

Do you have a pioneer headunit? If so, then you might have a blown pico fuse on the HU RCA outputs. You can read about how to fix the pico fuse issue here:

Pioneer headunit pico fuse fix *56k* - HondaCivicForum.com

And use the DMM to make sure battery power is staying solid at each amplifier. And check the turn-on signal (REM) going to the amplifiers to make sure it isn't switching them off randomly. You should have a solid +12 DC on both the BATT+ and REM input terminals of both amplifiers when the system is on. Check these carefully when the systems cuts out and see if either is losing voltage.

Ok, I'll swap rcas, and check the voltage at both amps. Now when the music plays, and its not cutting out, it is really quiet. Like the amps arent even on, but both amps are turning on. I guess I will check the voltage at the amps. Thank you for your help. You are helping a lot.

Also, I forgot to mention that there are two sets or rcas comming out of the hu. One set for each amp, and I must say that it worked great just like it is now for quite awhile.

One more thing is that I did just switch subs to a FI BL. Its supposed to be a d1 sub wired to 2 ohms, but when I tested it at the terminal cup, it was reading weird, like 9-14 ohms. I know that is not a good sign, but when I hooked it up and played it, it played perfectly. Sounded so clean and crisp, I just figured it was the terminal cup or something, and bought it anyway. I meant to take it out of the box, and test it that way, so I think I'll do that as well. It sounded great for a few days, but the problem did start after I swapped subs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my dmm needs a new battery, cause I pulled the sub out of the box to check the wiring, and at first it gave me 2.2 everywhere. Then after having it on for awhile, the readings started to vary more and more. Its a cheap one, but should do the job. Im gonna get a new battery tomorrow, cause I need this dmm to find my problem. The sub is good though, and definitely a BL, and not an SSD, like was advertised.

Last edited by a moderator:
MAJOR TESTING going on tomorrow, cause Im off tomorrow! Getting a 9 volt for my dmm, and then gonna test. My poor FI is looking at me right now saying, common man......what the .... are you doing? You heard me when I played. You heard how good I sound, and your just gonna let me be like this? I will not sit by, and watch this system go to waste. I need it! I will post an update tomorrow. Is there anyone in NE Pennsylvania on here that could help?

I found the problem when I took the sub out of the box. One of the terminals came lose on the sub, and was shorting out on the basket. I just drilled a hole through the center of the plastic, in between the negative and positive posts, and put a good sized ziptie through it to secure it in place. Everything is back to normal now, and sounds good again! Wasn't expecting it to be that though, lol.

Just wanted to clarify something, for proper informational criteria. The loose terminal was not the problem, I believe. It must be a bad ground or my hu,cause its still doing it. Soo fing anoying. Just wanted to clarify that, to cut down on misinformation.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.