Head Unit Clipping....would using a...

Participant count
  • Participant list

aea151
10+ year member

here
I have a situation where I am using my factory deck to run a mmats D100HC to a Mmats Juggernaut. I am getting a good signal however, at higher volumes I am experiencing clipping and cut-off in my factory deck.

Instead of using a Hi-Level to Lo-level converter, I opted to use a RCA speaker wire and cut it to run in-line with my front two channes.

My questions are:

1) Is the deck reacting as a bridged load causing the deak to go into protection and cut-off?

2) Am I just using too small guage wire?

3) Should a capacitor be used in-line with each channel? If so, should it be in parallel with the (+) and (-) channel?

Keep in mind the wiring is correct as for as polarity and It has been isolated to the deck and not the amp.

Thanks in advance guys!

Good question:

But the only thing is the clipping occurs at moderate volumes at times also...as if the head unit is heating up (which may be the case). But being that I have played the head unit at very high volume (excluding the rca's) without the cut-off and clipping, it has to be related to me putting the RCA speaker wire on to the deck.

I thought about putting a 47uF cap on the speakers, but that would only serve as a filter(depending on how I configure it).

I guess my concearn is what can I use to take some of the heat off the front channels of the factory deck?

There is a built in fan on the factory Delco deck. The clipping occurs during about 20 min of play at moderate volume and about. I still have to hook up my cap (1 Farad) to the amp, but that wouldnt be the problem with the deck (i dont suspect).

Another question:

Is the fact that I have two channels running to a mono (bridged) mmats amp into a parallel ran, dvc, sub have anything to do with the drain on the deck?

I agree,

Well, I might have to try to get a in-line converter. I saw one that I like on:

http://www.partsexpress.com

They have one that does NOT have a dial (potential meter) on it....lawd knows I dont need any more sound delivered to that amp....I think my ears started bleeding last time I got in the truck....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

Instead of using a Hi-Level to Lo-level converter, I opted to use a RCA speaker wire and cut it to run in-line with my front two channes.
I don't understand. You running speaker level inputs into your amp without a LLC? That'd seriously overload the input to most amps. Clipping? Hell ya.

3) Should a capacitor be used in-line with each channel? If so, should it be in parallel with the (+) and (-) channel?
Amp inputs are ground referenced, so a bridged speaker level needs isolation. A cap could be placed in either leg, but I'd do it on the neg side.

I don't understand. You running speaker level inputs into your amp without a LLC?

First off thanks for the help, Im learning a lot. The connection I have is such:

From the HU, I have taken a speaker wire from Radio Shack. This particular speaker wire has RCA headers instead of just the normal clipped speaker wire. I cut it so as to have two rca type headers on one side and speaker wire on the other. From there I have tied (in-line) the speaker wire side of both them to the front left and front right channels.

I had two female-to-female couplers, in which on one side (HU side) I have the radio shack RCA type connection. The other side (AMP side) is a actual triple shielded 17' RCA cable that was previously ran to the amp.

I guess what I need to be asking is what does a Hi-level to low level converter have in it that makes it function differently from the connection that I currently have?????

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.