HDTV quesitons....

95ZJ
10+ year member

The Resident Ginger
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying an HDTV for myself for Christmas, and was wondering what the main difference between HDMI and component is? I have an older Xbox 360 Premium with the component hookup, and was wondering how much of a difference in image quality the HDMI equipped HD-DVD and Elite edition provides.

Also, if there's a fairly significant difference in a 720p tv and a 1080p tv, is the extra money for full HD worth it, even if my source is broadcasting in 720p?

The differences between component and HDMI are that HDMI is a digital signal versus a analog signal you have with component. Also, with HDMI, both the video and audio are included on the same cable so if you mind about extra cables, it is pretty nice to have to only plug in one cable. People can debate all day about which is better. I cant see a difference between the two on my Direct TV box. Some people have problems with HDMI because of the HDCP(copy protection) that is on almost every HDTV and hi-def device you hook up to it. Some times it dosen't wanna sync up from the your hi-def device and your tv which means you dont get a picture. Other than that, the only thing is the ability for 1080p.

Most hi-def devices only put out 1080p over HDMI. Your 360 Premium will only do 1080i max res over component. You will either need to get the VGA cables for the 360 to get 1080p output or buy a newer 360(all the new ones now have the hdmi port,even the arcade).

If you wanna get be ready for the future, Id say spend the extra money on a native 1080p set. I just got a new HDTV about 4 months and went with a 720p native res because I only wanted a 40inch and their were so many good deals(and still are) for 720p native sets. But the only 1080p content out right now is Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies. And I dont think the tv networks are gonna switch from (720p/1080i) any time soon. Also, anything really under 42inches, you are most likely not gonna be able to see a difference between the two resolutions.

The differences between component and HDMI are that HDMI is a digital signal versus a analog signal you have with component. Also, with HDMI, both the video and audio are included on the same cable so if you mind about extra cables, it is pretty nice to have to only plug in one cable. People can debate all day about which is better. I cant see a difference between the two on my Direct TV box. Some people have problems with HDMI because of the HDCP(copy protection) that is on almost every HDTV and hi-def device you hook up to it. Some times it dosen't wanna sync up from the your hi-def device and your tv which means you dont get a picture. Other than that, the only thing is the ability for 1080p.
Most hi-def devices only put out 1080p over HDMI. Your 360 Premium will only do 1080i max res over component. You will either need to get the VGA cables for the 360 to get 1080p output or buy a newer 360(all the new ones now have the hdmi port,even the arcade).

If you wanna get be ready for the future, Id say spend the extra money on a native 1080p set. I just got a new HDTV about 4 months and went with a 720p native res because I only wanted a 40inch and their were so many good deals(and still are) for 720p native sets. But the only 1080p content out right now is Blu-Ray and HD-DVD movies. And I dont think the tv networks are gonna switch from (720p/1080i) any time soon. Also, anything really under 42inches, you are most likely not gonna be able to see a difference between the two resolutions.
Xbox360 does output 1080p over components with the update that's been out for over a year now. Alos if you have a 1080p tv and send it a 1080i signal, your tv will convert it to 1080p.

Xbox360 does output 1080p over components with the update that's been out for over a year now. Alos if you have a 1080p tv and send it a 1080i signal, your tv will convert it to 1080p.
since when can component vid cables carry 1080p signal?

1080p is pretty pointless ATM anyways. you wont notice a difference between it and 1080i unless you compare the two side by side and with extraordinary detail... and as for gaming with 1080p, dont expect to see it become mainstream anytime soon, at least until they can get better refresh rates.

there are only a few games that are actually written in 1080p. just because you have your xbox set to 1080p, doesnt mean its putting out a 1080p signal, or that what you are viewing is decoded in 1080p //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

there was an article about it a while back, after the ps3 came out. they made some games that were decoded in 1080p, and they were widely reviewed as awful graphics because they were slow, choppy, and not clear. the refresh rate on 1080p just isnt high enough yet to support smooth action graphics like gaming. alot of people also prefer 1080i for action and sports for the same reason. faster refresh gives crisper graphics.

playing madden on 360 i can notice even between 720 and 1080i the 720 is much smoother...between the picture i cant tell the difference other than 1080i is a bit choppy and slow like people are saying.

my tv is only 26" so that could be why i cant tell the difference.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

95ZJ

10+ year member
The Resident Ginger
95ZJ
Electric Lady Land
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date