having some electrical issues

MetalHead888
10+ year member

MetalHead
NJ
Ok so this morning I drive my car to the gas station which is a few blocks from my house. After getting gas my car wont start up and it seems like the battery is dead. The guy gives me a jump start and I head to work.....on the way my headunit keeps turning on and off and doesn't play music while its on. When I got to work which is only about 15the mins away the indicator on the battery said its at a full charge.

The car is a 2008 Honda fit and ive never had any problems until now. I would normally think the battery is dieing but the car isn't that old and the head unit is acting up.... what do u guys think?

I didn't have anytime to look at it because I had to get to work. Thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 09:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 AM ----------

Oh and its an eclipse head unit btw

I im thinking its a loose wire of some sort also. I agree with tylork also for that same reason.... something tells me this is going to turn into a real pain in the ***. I just don't understand why my headunit is doing that after I jumped it.

Alt is ok because it charged the battery on the way to work. I had a second to leave work and check on the car and here's what I got.

Car starts and everything seems ok except the radio.

Fuse to radio seems ok

Amp turns on and off with the headunit.

Taking out the inline fuse to the amp doesn't change anything

Headunit emitted no sound while on

Headunit keeps the time

Battery terminals seem to be secure

Battery is still at a full charge while sitting for 5 hours.

My diagnosis is that there's some sort of wiring short or issue with the headunit or fuse line. Opinions?

Alt is ok because it charged the battery on the way to work. I had a second to leave work and check on the car and here's what I got. Car starts and everything seems ok except the radio.

Fuse to radio seems ok

Amp turns on and off with the headunit.

Taking out the inline fuse to the amp doesn't change anything

Headunit emitted no sound while on

Headunit keeps the time

Battery terminals seem to be secure

Battery is still at a full charge while sitting for 5 hours.

My diagnosis is that there's some sort of wiring short or issue with the headunit or fuse line. Opinions?
Just check those things you listed haha only way to be sure process of examination.

heres an update. alternator and battery was tested. the alternator is fine and the battery is reading that it is bad. can anyone explain to me why my radio would turn on and off while running because of a bad battery? because i do not understand it. heres what the test on the battery test reads.
2yyqk8w.jpg

Who really knows what electricity really does in any real situation, other than what we have experienced?Change your battery as recommended, and check the ground wire for the radio, and even run and extra ground wire direct from the back of the HU, and ground it.Never hurts to ground one unit in two different locations?A bad battery can create several electrical issues.It is possible that the ground wire for the HU is not solid.

Thank you. Im getting the battery tomorrow I hope. 3 places today didn't have one...the thing about the head unit is im trying to avoid it because last time taking it out became a nightmare.

LOL! Hu can be difficult at times..but that Eclipse HU is prob a darn good one.I have a CD3000, and having a hard time wanting to take it out.Try Orileys yet??They have some good ones too, and good warranty also,and just as good if not better than the redtops today.I got one for the Honda, and it has mor CCA than the redtops, and approx $120 cheaper, w a 7yr warranty i believe..Just a suggestion,and hope all ends well:D

LOL! Hu can be difficult at times..but that Eclipse HU is prob a darn good one.I have a CD3000, and having a hard time wanting to take it out.Try Orileys yet??They have some good ones too, and good warranty also,and just as good if not better than the redtops today.I got one for the Honda, and it has mor CCA than the redtops, and approx $120 cheaper, w a 7yr warranty i believe..Just a suggestion,and hope all ends well:D
Thank you. Ill look into it. I love the eclipse hu. Maybe the hu just died. Today after work im gonna get the battery and well see what happens.

Taking out the stock radio was a nightmare. I had to take the glove box out to disconnect the controls for the ac and all that stuff... then the plastic clips that hold the stock unit in went into god mode and didn't want to let go. I pulled so hard I bent the frame that the stock unit was on and wedged it in.... son had to rip apart the entire dash just to get it out. I finally got this thing in and I was really hoping id never have to pull it out again. I've done many had unit installs before and I've never seen anything more poorly designed.

That is an alternator problem, But try to check your battery again try to use other battery.
alternator has been tested and its good. also i have no other issues. no dimming of any sort or any other electrical issues.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.