have i made a horrible mistake?

dvrmstrng
5,000+ posts

DE
alpine 9857 is going into my 06 grand cherokee this weekend to replace stock HU....

what i was looking for in a HU (keep in mind i sold an ipod i wasnt using and my old cell phone for this HU):

more power to my stock speakers

better SQ than a stock HU

ipod functionality (i never use the radio and CD use is rare)

this being said you guys think i made an alright choice...or should i sell it when it gets here and go for something else

Its not the best HU, but its definetly not the worst either. Ive heard that exact HU before and its really not all that bad. I didnt think so anyway.

Definitely an improvement over your stock unit, so not a mistake. Although I'm with heyman I'm confused why you got rid of the ipod if you plan on using it most of the time.

I did a bunch of looking over the reviews at crutchfield for the 9856 which I believe is the exact same model as yours except you have an LCD screen and the 9856 does not.

If you look at the reviews you will see everyone pretty much gives it 5 stars and Alpine is supposed to have the best ipod integration out there (from what I have read here and seen in reviews) so I think you made a good choice.

I am probably going to pull the trigger on a 9856 myself today, I like the 9857 look better but the upgraded screen is not worth $100 extra to me.

I did a bunch of looking over the reviews at crutchfield for the 9856 which I believe is the exact same model as yours except you have an LCD screen and the 9856 does not.
If you look at the reviews you will see everyone pretty much gives it 5 stars and Alpine is supposed to have the best ipod integration out there (from what I have read here and seen in reviews) so I think you made a good choice.

I am probably going to pull the trigger on a 9856 myself today, I like the 9857 look better but the upgraded screen is not worth $100 extra to me.
Where are you getting your 9856 from? Pm me before you buy it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

didnt know that the LCD screen was the only upgrade...but basically i sold old stuff to get this HU brand new...so i'll take the advice of ^^^^^ and not second guess myself

another question...you guys think my stock speakers will be alright going from whatever stock wattage is from a HU (like 4-6 watts i think) and getting whatever the alpine is going to give them (22 watts 50 peak i think)

Im sure they will be fine, probably a bit more livley but OEM speaker **** 99% of the time. Id make that the next thing to be changed out. Nice set of comps.

yeah i mean my friend has memphis comps...and these speakers are really not that bad...but yes they will be the next thing to go...anyone have and recommendations about what do to...i got 6x9s in the front door and like 3 1/2 in the dash....whats a good comp set...looking to spend like $200-300 range

another question...you guys think my stock speakers will be alright going from whatever stock wattage is from a HU (like 4-6 watts i think) and getting whatever the alpine is going to give them (22 watts 50 peak i think)
a bit off topic but does your average stock HU's really only pull out 4-6watts rms?

ive been trying to find out how much rms my stock hu puts out but have had no luck... the car is a 01 accord ex

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.