Ground noise when car is running, help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

RoachForLife
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Florida
So Ive had my set up for some time. I have 2 amps and using 0gauge power wire and 2/4gague ground wire. Its the largest Kicker wire kit.

Anyways, its been fine for about a year, then all a sudden I notice a whine sound when Im driving. Its definitely my 2 front speakers as when I take the power from the amp the whine goes away. Also when my car idled, with vol at 0, it sounded like it was my tweeter whining (PG RSD6.5s).

So I guess where Im getting at is...

Whats the best way/method for checking where exactly its coming from? And is it possible my tweeter is just fubar? Anyway to test it?

I def would love to test as much as I could without having to tear into to much stuff as Im not a huge audio expert and it took me many weekends a year ago to get this all up and running in my driveway //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for the help everyone!

-Steve

So Ive had my set up for some time. I have 2 amps and using 0gauge power wire and 2/4gague ground wire. Its the largest Kicker wire kit.
Anyways, its been fine for about a year, then all a sudden I notice a whine sound when Im driving. Its definitely my 2 front speakers as when I take the power from the amp the whine goes away. Also when my car idled, with vol at 0, it sounded like it was my tweeter whining (PG RSD6.5s).

So I guess where Im getting at is...

Whats the best way/method for checking where exactly its coming from? And is it possible my tweeter is just fubar? Anyway to test it?

I def would love to test as much as I could without having to tear into to much stuff as Im not a huge audio expert and it took me many weekends a year ago to get this all up and running in my driveway //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks for the help everyone!

-Steve

bolded text first.... WTF? cant idle at 0 man. unless ur batt and alt are dead when ur car was running.

second check the ground on your amp or the rca's running to the front two channels. make sure there far away from the power wire. lastly if everything fails ground ur rca's. what HU?

bolded text first.... WTF? cant idle at 0 man. unless ur batt and alt are dead when ur car was running.
second check the ground on your amp or the rca's running to the front two channels. make sure there far away from the power wire. lastly if everything fails ground ur rca's. what HU?
really... really.. you can't idle with your h/u at volume 0? lol

Sorry, the car was idling, the volume on my headunit was set to 0

Headunit is Alpine ida x100 (i believe)

Amps are Alpine PDX 1.1000 and PDX 4.150 bridged to 2x300

Speakers are PG RSD 6.5s

Subs are 2 JL W6v2 12s"

I ran both sets of RCAs (speakers and subs) on the pass side of the car and the Kicker 0ga power on the driver side of the car. The 0ga ground is to the chassis in the trunk. It has a Y splitter which is 2 or 4ga (forget which) which goes to both. Power does the same.

Again, nothing has changed in 1.5 years but the last 2 months its been making the whining. Its not super loud, but when I have people in the car and Im not blasting it (like ususal lol) then I notice it

Sorry, the car was idling, the volume on my headunit was set to 0
Headunit is Alpine ida x100 (i believe)

Amps are Alpine PDX 1.1000 and PDX 4.150 bridged to 2x300

Speakers are PG RSD 6.5s

Subs are 2 JL W6v2 12s"

I ran both sets of RCAs (speakers and subs) on the pass side of the car and the Kicker 0ga power on the driver side of the car. The 0ga ground is to the chassis in the trunk. It has a Y splitter which is 2 or 4ga (forget which) which goes to both. Power does the same.

Again, nothing has changed in 1.5 years but the last 2 months its been making the whining. Its not super loud, but when I have people in the car and Im not blasting it (like ususal lol) then I notice it
you had it right.. he misread

So I was playing with it more. I took out one of the RCAs and noticed the whine went away. I then put the R chan in the L chan (leaving the other out still) and it was still good. This told me it wasnt the speaker or wiring to the speaker.

Then whats odd is I plugged them both back to normal and they are fine. Is it possible there was some interference right at the plug itself? Is there something to put between the RCAs at where they plug into the amp to ensure no interference? Sorry if this is dumb, im stretching for ideas here.

Thanks!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.