Ground loop noise when using my cell phone..

SSpiro
10+ year member

.:] Audiophile [:.
I believe this is a fairly common problem, but I need to find a solution if there is one.

For now, i'm using an eclipse AVN5500. It has a composite video input, which I use to listen to my ipod, my phone, or play videos from my ipod on the deck with. Anytime any of these devices are plugged in and charging through the cigarette lighter, I get the dreaded ground loop interference and its obnoxious. If i turn the audio way up, it drowns it out for the most part - however, its still there and affecting the sound quality.

I'm working on a system design right now to replace the AVN5500 with a tablet in the dash.. however, it'll be setup the same way and will always be plugged in. Audio will run through an EQ setup. I want to make sure i get this cleared up before I proceed in the tablet project.

No other components on the system yet. Still factory speakers, subs/amps not plugged in yet or setup. RCA's are ran, but just coiled up in the trunk. So the only ground point I can think of that is or could have a problem is the aftermarket HU or a bad ground with the lighter outlet? I have no idea.

Unless it could be the coiled up RCA's.

Let me know your thoughts.

Ground loop is caused by different sources have their grounds at different potentials. The first thing I would try is relocating the grounds to the same spot, or connecting them with a dedicated ground wire (to bring them to the same potential).

Ground loop is caused by different sources have their grounds at different potentials. The first thing I would try is relocating the grounds to the same spot, or connecting them with a dedicated ground wire (to bring them to the same potential).
So you're saying ground the HU and the cigarette lighter to same spot?

It's caused by series resistance causing the grounds to be at different potentials. Merely grounding at the same spot is not the answer because when the devices are not located in the same area, a lengthy wire must be added to connect the distant device to it. Since that is the case, depending on the gauge of wire and distance run, it may not fix the problem at all. Simply reducing the series resistance in line with the head unit in this gentleman's case is the solution. Again you show how little you actually understand anything at all.

It's caused by series resistance causing the grounds to be at different potentials. Merely grounding at the same spot is not the answer because when the devices are not located in the same area, a lengthy wire must be added to connect the distant device to it. Since that is the case, depending on the gauge of wire and distance run, it may not fix the problem at all. Simply reducing the series resistance in line with the head unit in this gentleman's case is the solution. Again you show how little you actually understand anything at all.
It's his cigarette lighter and HU which are located within inches of each other. Glad to see your not still butthurt or anything though.

It's his cigarette lighter and HU which are located within inches of each other. Glad to see your not still butthurt or anything though.
You could never get me butthurt. I just wanted to correct your ignorant post. If they are so close to each other, what is the likelihood that the ground wires in question don't have the same ground location?

And the forum just got that much better...

27233765.png

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

So you're saying ground the HU and the cigarette lighter to same spot?
Yes. Are you using the factory ground for your HU?

And the forum just got that much better...
27233765.png

---------- Post added at 11:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:34 AM ----------

Yes. Are you using the factory ground for your HU?
You trolled me and then blocked me after I defended myself and proved you wrong... you're really mature.

so anyways yeah I was recently having ground loop problems through my rcas I get thumping in the subs with the engine when no music is playing or my blinkers make them thump when no music is playing..so I thought I would try to reground my head unit and antenna (radio wouldn't pick up stations) and what not to the battery up front which didn't stop it. Thought the radio now works but the thumping can be terrible at times :/

And now I get the same interference when charging my phone and I'm.guessing because my.lighter isn't grounded at the battery? But also its kind of a long ground

Well this thread has been destroyed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

To answer the question above, yes, the HU is grounded to factory location. I've not touched anything to do with the 12v outlet.

One other thing I thought of.. my remote has been ran to the trunk, but is clipped and not exposed. Just wanted to give all the information available.

Well this thread has been destroyed //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
To answer the question above, yes, the HU is grounded to factory location. I've not touched anything to do with the 12v outlet.

One other thing I thought of.. my remote has been ran to the trunk, but is clipped and not exposed. Just wanted to give all the information available.
I would first try re-doing the HU ground, factory grounds are notorious for being bad. A good chassis ground in the dash or directly to the battery would be good.

Try grounding the RCA's on your head unit....

Option 1

PioneerFix.jpg

Option 2: You will need a soldering gun and wire, but is simple even if you have not done it before. This is the easier of the two.

Before

DSCI0031.jpg

After

DSCI0033.jpg

You could never get me butthurt. I just wanted to correct your ignorant post. If they are so close to each other, what is the likelihood that the ground wires in question don't have the same ground location?
Ignorant means "unable to learn". Just //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif.

Just do a dedicated line for your headunit. 12v & ground straight from the battery.

Ignorant means "unable to learn". Just //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/fyi.gif.9f1f679348da7204ce960cfc74bca8e0.gif.
No. Ignorant means he does not have enough information or is "ignoring" the information he does have. He's in school for this.... he should have known better. I used the term correctly.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.