Got jacked... what would you do?

bird_dog0347
10+ year member

DFW
So here is the deal. I had my truck parked in my driveway Sunday night/Monday morning behind my house, it was locked and the flood lights were on out back. The guy broke in between 10:30pm and 1:30am and stole my Avic D3, GMOS2 wire harness, and 16gb iPod touch. He also cut the NAV antenna when he did it, so there is another $50 or so.

Well, Monday morning I looked on craigslist.com and found the ipod and the Avic. The ipod was posted for sale at 2:06am, and the HU at 7:20ish am. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif I got the police involved (already had the cops out to do the initial report) and we setup a buy for the ipod yesterday afternoon. Sure enough, the guy is at the meeting place as promised, driving a bad ass 07 vette and had MY ipod. Well, the guys he met there were undercover cops, not my buddy he thought he was meeting and they arrested him on the spot. Later last night, with a search warrant they recovered my Avic, but not the wire harness.

Also, the ipod had a protective film on it (http://www.invisibleshield.com) that he peeled off for some dumbass reason. That was another $25 I am out. So all told, I need a new GMOS2 harness ($169 @ cartoys), $50 for a new nav antenna, $25 for a new invisible shield, plus my time to get it all put back together. Total of $244 in parts, not including labor assuming the HU still works fine.

Here is the kicker... I know the guy. He was a regular at a bar I used to hang out at years ago, have not seen him in about 4 years, and he likely has no idea he got it from me but he would recognize me if he saw me. Also, I know a TON about him, he made it easy to find him on the internet. I am also a forgiving person, and I have an idea. Pretty much, if this went to court, it will take 8-12 months just to get there, then I have to deal with trying to get restitution out of him, and get him convicted. I am thinking it would be a better deal for me and him if he would agree to what I have in mind.

He would have to buy a brand new ipod touch (16gb), GMOS wire harness, AVIC D3, and dash install kit for me and in return I would give him the items he stole, plus drop the charges. That way I don't get my stuff back damaged, and I am not out any money... I realize most people would think this is crazy, but he obviously knows where I live, and he is not really looking at doing any real time for it. I don't want to escalate anything, or start a war with the guy, I just want working stuff... just like I had it before.

The dude is driving a BAD ARSE Vette... I know he has money, plus given where he lives I know he has money. Money he has, brains he is lacking. Also, my plan is contingent on the fact that they did not find anything else illegal at his house (like drugs or other stolen goods).

That is a very amicable solution to your problem, but letting him off to replace your stolen items will just leave him open to stealing it again.
Thought about that too... but I know where he lives now as well, so stealing again from me would be a BAD idea...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif I likely would not involve the cops a second time.

Drives a Vette? Put a big ass hole in it and call it a day! His expense will far exceed yours initially and later down the raod if he uses his insurance to cover it!

if you go the route you're talking, don't forget to add in $40/hour for labor... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

bird_dog0347

10+ year member
bird_dog0347
DFW
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from