Good SQ tunes

paikiah
5,000+ posts

Wangaholic
Seoul, Korea
Everyone's asking about bumpin' songs, bass tunes...

I like SPL as much as anyone, but I would like to have quality to it, so Id like to know what you guys use for bass, mid and treble tuning. I've read from mags and internet sites that tell me to use songs that I don't listen to, so I can concentrate on listening to the quality and not the song itself...or something of that nature.

So far, my compilation includes:

thunder storm

male voice (any high kbit hypnosis track did it for me)

Male voice choir

female voice counting 1~10

left-right countdown 10~1

glass crack

THX classic intro (still scares me time to time)

some Cathedral (pipe) organ track(supposed to go down to 18Hz, but obviously, I can't hear it)

Boys to men - on bended knees acapella

bass 305-tweeter test

fart noises (oh yeah, they make the mids jump)

Primus (les claypool) - bass and drum solo

Vivaldi - four seasons (spring)

Vivaldi - Guitar, Violin, Viola and cello concerto in A

Tchaikovsky - 1816 (don't really know what year it was already) it's the track with the cannons

Turkish belly dance track (I think it has GREAT midbass to midrange tones)

Carribean steel drum band recording (can't seem to find any clear recordings, though)

tropical forest with sounds of water and birds in the background

It'd be great if you could post some that you use, cause I have this feeling that I'm still not testing all the frequencies. I do not have a trained ear, so I need tracks like the ones above and try to listen to individual frequencies.

chilly peppers (older songs), Molokko (very sq sq sq) and some more....

All time number 1 : Dreamtheater, unmatched !

I HATE dreamtheaters music (synt. rock) but I have never heart any band or any cd THIS clear.. I.B. 100% !

Really ? I find Linkin park a good sound however for SQ I think its very disturbing.

Should add that I only own one CD which is a copy so the low quality on heavy guitars might be because of that...

It really just depends on what you listen to most of the time, but I do have those songs that hit the 'sweet spot' that I wouldnt regularly listen to...

eric clapton - change the world

dave matthews band - under the table and dreaming CD

thalia - entre el mar y una estrella (seriously, not the greatest, but awesome sound)

steve miller band - fly like an eagle

311 - use of time

For SQ I use:

Guns N' Roses - Welcome To The Jungle

Dave Matthews Band - So Much To Say

Everlast - What Its Like

K-C & JoJo - All My Life

Etc...(Plus most sympanies)

Mind you, it takes me a fair amount of time to tune my system, and I just have to use the

same MP3 CD every time:)

- Steve

CA&E's test tracks for 1995~1996 (dug up my old mag collection to see what's good)

Handel - Messiah

(it's supposed to give a very good sense of ambience with the choir in the background)

Jennifer Warnes (soprano) singing ANY ballas tunes

Suppe - light clavary overture (william tell)

(the big bass drum should give clear distinct impacts at 45Hz)

Enya - storms in Africa

The sound of the thunder peaks at 25Hz~30Hz, and should be heard as individual tones, not one muddy bass note

Faure (pipe organ)

THe pedal bass shoul be very distinct at 30Hz

Gnomus (pipe organ)

Again, the pedal should sound very deep

Planet Krypton - Star tracks

The concluding massive drum roll should sound thunderous and tight, even with the lower octaves. The pipe organ goes down all the way to 18Hz.

Sheffield's My Disc

Has all the telarc and other high quality recordings for tuning systems.

Cheskey's collection series No.1

bass mekanik -quad maximus

track 5 is all they mentioned.. anyone know what track 5 is?

Don Henley - Building the perfect beast

The kick drums sound very solid and tests the system's Sq rather well. (they mentioned that rock tracks are quite hard to reproduce)

NY philharmonic Orchestra's tracks (any)

Jim Brock -tropic affair

This CD is supposed to have very high quality recordings.

I'm going into kazaa and winmx to download these... hope they have 320kbps tracks...

Originally posted by neonak chilly peppers (older songs), Molokko (very sq sq sq) and some more....

All time number 1 : Dreamtheater, unmatched !

I HATE dreamtheaters music (synt. rock) but I have never heart any band or any cd THIS clear.. I.B. 100% !
I agree that Dream Theater's stuff sounds excellent(especially images and words). I, however, love them(most musically talented band I have seen or heard).

Other good sq stuff:

Between the Sheets by Fourplay

anything by the Rippingtons

Hotel California off Eagles' Hell Freezes Over is the best sounding song on my system

DMB(just about anything)

so much stuff to list

I'm just going to list what is in my car right now. These all have great SQ and SPL. I was listening to the aphex twin cd today and one of the songs was doing 16khz+ and booming at the same time.

Si Se

Beth Orton - Day Breaker

Esthero

Fiona Apple

Depeche Mode - Exciter

Aphex Twin - 26 Mixes for Cash

Ultra Chilled series

I use a lot of Aerosmith songs...

Sweet Emotion

I Don't Want To Miss a Thing

Dude Looks Like A Lady

Janies Got A Gun

Jaded

I use other CD's like the Eagles, and some of my dads collection like Don Henly and Steely Dan. They seem to sound pretty good.

I really like Santana. All those drums and stuff goin on are great to listen to.

You guys need to find the Sepultura - Chaos B.C. remix. Tribal drumbs that bounce all over the place. REALLY cool sound.

Or any Shpongle or Orbital (especially The Box Part II) is always fun to listen to on a new install :>

Originally posted by _sF^ You guys need to find the Sepultura - Chaos B.C. remix. Tribal drumbs that bounce all over the place. REALLY cool sound.

Or any Shpongle or Orbital (especially The Box Part II) is always fun to listen to on a new install :>
wasn't it Chaos A.D.?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

paikiah

5,000+ posts
Wangaholic
paikiah
Seoul, Korea
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date