Good soldering tutorial.

Participant count
  • Participant list
cool video.

Just wondering, do you have to use flux when soldering ring terminals onto wire? Or does this only apply to circuit board work?

cool video.
Just wondering' date=' do you have to use flux when soldering ring terminals onto wire? Or does this only apply to circuit board work?[/quote']

I would think anytime you use solder you should use flux. It is easier to use rosin core solder as the flux is built into the solder.

Good soldering skills, and a good soldering iron, are worth untold amounts of money (and joy)!!!

I picked up a Weller WESD51 soldering station (with digital temperature read out) on sale a few years ago. Best $130 I ever spent. It's good not only for car audio (as I learned last week) but also for repairing anything with wires.

Coincidentally, the WESD51 is on sale again on Amazon right now:

Weller WESD51 Digital Soldering Station - Amazon.com

(regular price $200, on for $131 now)

The Weller iron is a high quality unit, the tip is sharp and gets hot quickly. More than worth the money. The crappy $25 soldering irons are so frustrating and unpleasant to use, and make your work look like crap (speaking from experience!). Generally if someone says soldering sucks, it is because they tried a bad soldering iron that was hard to use and they did an ugly job.

Last week I fixed a couple of car starter remotes for my neighbour. The part the holds the coin batteries had worked loose, and a bit of solder made them work like new. Two years ago I rewired my truck and trailer with new connectors, and soldered joints ensured the repair will last for a long time. Last summer I did a lot of wiring work on my motorcycle (1986 Honda Shadow 750cc) and soldered and heat-shrinked all the joints.

Don't forget to get some good heat-shrink to cover all your solder joints! Transparent heat shrink is the best because it lets you visually inspect the connections. Using electrical tape is such a waste of time and risks breaking the joints from repeated flexing as you warp the tape on.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.