Gettin those J Dilla.. A Tribe Called Quest basslines

wanton789
10+ year member

I'm a first timer. I was thinking about doin 2x 12's in my 02 Highlander. I almost have my Bachelors in EE so I think I can handle it, my biggest mistake will be being too confident and messing up something somehow.

People say 12's can get lower but might introduce some delay in the output.

People say 10's will be cleaner (in a sealed box, right?).

I feel like I just have to do this a couple times before I can really get an idea on how to achieve different sound.

I don't necessarily have the time right now to make my own box. If I bought a pre-fab one that fit whatever size requirements for whatever subs I buy would that be alright (as long as it matches the volume.. and it's a quality box? or are most pre-fab boxes garbage).

First time around I just get a pre-fab...?

---

Anyways, my first priority in this system is to have some clean, low *** bass. I want that **** to be SUPER clean and responsive.

I want to it to produce those bass lines like on some Tribe Called Quest and some Jay Dee ish..

Side note.. check out DTMD if you like that type of soulful funky *** stuff

Thanks,

Anton

The box is one of the most important parts of your substage. You should have someone design your box for you based on what subs you choose, your vehicle, the type of music you listen to, and your goals. There are many designers and builders for that matter on this site. You will be amazed at the difference in sound between a well designed/made custom box and a prefab. The size of the subs has no real impact on how tight or clean they will sound. That comes back to box design.

You should do some reading on this site for a couple weeks (or months, there's a lot of info) before you do or buy anything. You'll realize most of what you just said was pretty uneducated. Being an EE, you have the brainpower to learn this stuff, but you don't know it yet. And forget everything you "heard".

Don't buy a prefab box. Have one made or buy one yourself. 10's don't necessarily sound "cleaner", and can dig just as low as 12's, it's all about the box. Also, don't know what kind of power you intend to run, but you better have a grasp on a car's electrical system workings, as in how power is produced and distributed and what you will be drawing and so forth.

OP, just start browsing the forums for a ton of reviews and see what piques your interest. I'd stay away from a dual 10 setup since you've got more cabin space to fill. Either 2 12s or 15s would serve you better. Once you've narrowed down the sub, look up DC Creations, Starr Mountain Sounds, or Buck Box Designs. All three are members on this forum and will build you a proper box for a good price.

Thank you for the advice so far. I plan on doing a lot of reading still before I make decisions.

I guess I was just lookin to see if anyone is a head like me and had any specific tips.. things they had done in the past.

Or maybe someone who owned a highlander.

^^^

I like your taste in music.

You can also get the new blu & exile, YU, Tab-one, Hus, SmooVth, Sean Boog,Kooley High, & Has-Lo.

I'm running 1 single 12. (JL 12w6v2)

I have it in a 1.5 sealed box, low pass 63, slope 36.

The bass is tight & it gets really low.

I'm also using a JL 500/1 slash, which has a nice EQ settings.

You will want a good mono amp that is flexible

Tuning is your best friend.

If you can learn to make your own boxes you learn how to tune your system to your likings.

I'm about get a 15inch with a new amp.

Learn that your sub is more of for the lower end.

^^^I like your taste in music.

You can also get the new blu & exile, YU, Tab-one, Hus, SmooVth, Sean Boog,Kooley High, & Has-Lo.

I'm running 1 single 12. (JL 12w6v2)

I have it in a 1.5 sealed box, low pass 63, slope 36.

The bass is tight & it gets really low.

I'm also using a JL 500/1 slash, which has a nice EQ settings.

You will want a good mono amp that is flexible

Tuning is your best friend.

If you can learn to make your own boxes you learn how to tune your system to your likings.

I'm about get a 15inch with a new amp.

Learn that your sub is more of for the lower end.
Yancey Boys is another good cd with Dilla

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.