Gaping spark plugs...The easy way

coil discharge voltage for a stock 76 vette was 40kw, but with 65kw ill venture to say you can get away with a wider gap,.. possibly .50-.55 which can support a leaner mix. it can be trial and error, but if you notice some sluggishness and need to close the gap, just tap the ground electrode on a wooden surface and re-gap.
I wasnt sure what stock was ...It looked like condensation build up in old one...I just wanted to make the engine bay a little nicer...Its still a peppy car...but no hotrod...

well, a powerful ignition isnt just for performance, but getting a better burn and emission control thus a longer engine life
I just found out about the flat tappet cam i think its called...Im having to change the oil to a diesel motor oil for the higher zinc content ...to lube the cam properly...

I just found out about the flat tappet cam i think its called...Im having to change the oil to a diesel motor oil for the higher zinc content ...to lube the cam properly...
yep, flat tappet lifters tend to dig into the cam lobes after a while on reg 10-30/5-30,.. not only the zinc content, but the higher viscosity of rotella or castrol tends to keep oil sticking where it needs to be, however, i wouldnt go so far as to using diesel oil. there are zinc additives you can use with your regular oil change, and i dont really see the point of using a higher weight oil if youre not running the vette like a raped date.

yep, flat tappet lifters tend to dig into the cam lobes after a while on reg 10-30/5-30,.. not only the zinc content, but the higher viscosity of rotella or castrol tends to keep oil sticking where it needs to be, however, i wouldnt go so far as to using diesel oil. there are zinc additives you can use with your regular oil change, and i dont really see the point of using a higher weight oil if youre not running the vette like a raped date.
I change the oil about every 3000 miles in it...

I change the oil about every 3000 miles in it...
if money isnt a concern, use the lucas zinc additive every change, bro... actually, now that ive done a little fact checking, rotella makes a 10w30 synthetic with 1200ppm zinc content,.. that might be your best bet.

idk, im no professional by anyones standards, but i was a lube monkey for a few years.

if money isnt a concern, use the lucas zinc additive every change, bro... actually, now that ive done a little fact checking, rotella makes a 10w30 synthetic with 1200ppm zinc content,.. that might be your best bet.
idk, im no professional by anyones standards, but i was a lube monkey for a few years.
Your giving this advice without knowing driving habits.

10w30 synthetic which id only use mobile1 and never rotella.. Or royal purple for the more deep pocketed people.

Zinc content wont be much use if the car is not driven alot and is not abused.

Someone who dailys and randomly does drags down the roads would need to keep up with this to keep from sludging the engine.

Sent from my ZTE ZMax using Tapatalk

Your giving this advice without knowing driving habits.
10w30 synthetic which id only use mobile1 and never rotella.. Or royal purple for the more deep pocketed people.

Zinc content wont be much use if the car is not driven alot and is not abused.

Someone who dailys and randomly does drags down the roads would need to keep up with this to keep from sludging the engine.

aww, cmon man,.. are you not reading? his car, his choice to with it as he pleases,.. just trying to lead him in the right direction considering his parameters and expectations.

aww, cmon man,.. are you not reading? his car, his choice to with it as he pleases,.. just trying to lead him in the right direction considering his parameters and expectations.
[emoji23] had to return the previous angry posts you made against me!

Anyway.. Im done

[emoji23] had to return the previous angry posts you made against me!
Anyway.. Im done

angry and adamant are completely different,... learn the difference, please.

tbh, if i were ever at all angry towards you, it surely wouldnt be in a public thread,... you might log out to avoid me if that was the case.

angry and adamant are completely different,... learn the difference, please.
tbh, if i were ever at all angry towards you, it surely wouldnt be in a public thread,... you might log out to avoid me if that was the case.
He likes to talk. Rarely knows what he's talking about.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Louisiana_CRX

5,000+ posts
dem shoes......
Louisiana_CRX
Piney Hills of Louisiana
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date