Gaining Decibels?

I was just at a local car audio show. Frost off in Madison, WI.
A guy showed up from IOWA. He had 6 18" SMDs. He did a 159. He had 3 DC 9ks.

He used to have a MTX Jackhammer 22. And did a 156.1

Is it that hard to gain decibels?
I can't believe he did that number with a jackhammer. That number is pretty impressive for SMD's because they are not spl woofers. Anything over 150 takes some skill. 155's is above average skill. It is very difficult to gain. The equipment begins to matter much less than enclosure. You just need stuff that's going to hold together at those levels

I can't believe he did that number with a jackhammer. That number is pretty impressive for SMD's because they are not spl woofers. Anything over 150 takes some skill. 155's is above average skill. It is very difficult to gain. The equipment begins to matter much less than enclosure. You just need stuff that's going to hold together at those levels
it's 6 18's

Yes, it is very hard to gain at a certain level. You start to fight yourself. As pressure on the front of the cone increases (spl number) it is that much harder to move the cone any farther. At a certain point you need to pay very close attention to the Bl of your woofers to make sure they can push against the pressure created in front of them. That's why Scott Owens topped out at 180 db with the pioneers. Not enough strength to fight the pressure.

I see you are also from WI. Stop by our shop in Brookfield if you're ever down this way. I used to compete a lot a few years ago, if you're looking to get into the scene or get louder I can help you out.

I'll agree that's a pretty impressive number for the jackhammer....

but regardless of what woofers they are... he's got six 18s and 20kW+ of power, I'd expect a 159.

it's 6 18's
So? What if they were 18 inch pups or xplods if they had made 18's? Cone area is not nearly as important as reducing cancellation. More cones usually introduces more cancellation. What is wrong with the people on this forum? Everyone thinks they know, yet they have never done it, seen it done, and simply don't have a clue. Wenn do you ever know what you're talking about? Pun intended.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jockhater2

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
jockhater2
Saukville, WI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date