Gaining decibals.

rebelfromva
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
VA
Have a few questions about gaining dbs. I like running a single sub due to box size requirements for my car. I know adding another woofer would be one of the best ways to gain on the meter but so does going to the next size woofer in most cases. What about adding sound deadener though? How much have you guys gained by just adding deadener? Which be a bigger gain going to a 15" or adding the deadener. Common answer is both but only able to do one at a time right now.

Deadner can make you gain on the meter, or lose on the meter. It's about time and testing what works and where with your vehicle.

Deadner can make you gain on the meter, or lose on the meter. It's about time and testing what works and where with your vehicle.
This is very true. Kinda hard to test and tune without a meter lol. I do know my car peaks around 45 no deadener. Also it would be much louder if I could seal it off but I need my seats.

you going to let me get ahold of that cobalt so you can be louds?

first off deaden the **** out of that floppy thin sheet metal chevy calls a trunk take out the shocks in it so it will have the weight of the trunk sealing itself.

remove the carpet spray foam the trunk vents and cover them(thats a .4 gain for most)

add more power (both kinds)

Full tank of gas or emty tank (mine likes full tanks .1-.2 for me)

ill let you know more when i see you.

there is a wall you will eventually hit when adding so much power. box box box aero aero aero
no such thing lol adding more power will all ways get u a few dbs usually only 1 or more lol biggest thing i did was bigger woofers and better box built gained 11.9 dbs by going with 2 18's and 8k

I gained over 4db on the tl by dropping my tuning from 1.2 down to .3 and trying a different port design

Sealing off the trunk wont always gain.

Id try a single 15 if you have the space.

I havent metered yet but before i had no sound deadening in the trunk and now that i do it has made my car sound so much louder and more clean with the sound! I would say put as much deadening you can get in there that helped me out a TON!

We all can sit here and suggest what "may work" but in truth there is only one way to figure it.

Never rely on simply adding amplifier power. That will not always get you better results. Electrical is always a good bet, enclosure testing, moving things around in the car into different positions normally affects the number you will see on the TL. Sealing off the trunk is not always a good idea either.

We all can sit here and suggest what "may work" but in truth there is only one way to figure it.
Never rely on simply adding amplifier power. That will not always get you better results. Electrical is always a good bet, enclosure testing, moving things around in the car into different positions normally affects the number you will see on the TL. Sealing off the trunk is not always a good idea either.
yeah... I 've done a couple of sealed trunks that turned out great and did a couple that just flattened right out...

There's nothing better then a sht load of time put into an enclosure that doesn't work

yeah... I 've done a couple of sealed trunks that turned out great and did a couple that just flattened right out...
There's nothing better then a sht load of time put into an enclosure that doesn't work
Yea, that will get you down in a hurry. Try having the same thing happen, but with a wall haha....Those are tough to swallow and know that you have rip it all back out..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

rebelfromva

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
rebelfromva
VA
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date