fuel pump problems?

jrouter76
10+ year member

jrouter76
Hey guys I`m new in this section....I`m having the same problem with my car whenever it gets hot outside, first let me tell what kind of a car it is: 1996 Olds 88 LS with 147.800 miles on it. Ok here is what it is doing whenever it is hot outside and I drive it on the hiway for at least 60 miles or more the fuel pump will get louder and louder( a whinning) sound and after a while the car will start slowing down no matter how much i press the gas it just finally stop and i have to coast over to the side of the road, wait about30-90 mins and it will start up and run again until it get to making the loud whinning soiund and shut off. now if its at night and cool no problem I have replaced the fuel pump 3 times since I had the car(21/2 years) with fuel pumps from NAPA(Carter Fuel Pumps) so I know the fuel pumps are good...I~m hoping someone out there has had this problem before and know what to do, thanks for any help, also would replaceing the whole fuel tank and pump-assembly solve the problem?

I would go and get it taken care of. It happened to me, I ignored it and it totally died one day leaving me stranded on the side of the road. I have a 95 Olds Cutlass. It may be a bit expensive, but its better than having it break down leaving you on the side of the road. All I got replaced was the pump its self. It most likely wont be anything wrong with your tank.

I would go and get it taken care of. It happened to me, I ignored it and it totally died one day leaving me stranded on the side of the road. I have a 95 Olds Cutlass. It may be a bit expensive, but its better than having it break down leaving you on the side of the road. All I got replaced was the pump its self. It most likely wont be anything wrong with your tank.
did you see where I have replace the fuel pump 3 TIMES in 2 1/2 years, there are other parts involed in the pump assembly not just the pump and strainer. mines quite after a while and if I let it setup for 30-90 mins .it starts right up and I can drive it did yours` just quit ? did it make a loud whinning sound?

did you see where I have replace the fuel pump 3 TIMES in 2 1/2 years, there are other parts involed in the pump assembly not just the pump and strainer. mines quite after a while and if I let it setup for 30-90 mins .it starts right up and I can drive it did yours` just quit ? did it make a loud whinning sound?
Oh whoops, didnt see that. Mine made a whining sound for a while and i just ignored it. I was always driving with my low fuel light was on and id always wait to fill it up. It made the whining sound for a few months and finally one day I got out of work and I was able to get out of the parking lot and it just died on me.

you replaced it 3 times?? i'd say the whining noise is normal, but it dies sooo... probably the fact its a aftermarket part and not GM.

The whining noise is the pump priming the fuel to go to the engine.

On inital startup the whinin noise is the pump priming so it takes less cranking time to strat the veh.

replacing the whole fuel tank will not solve the problem, buying a OEM part will.

The fact that your car is dying like that is..

1. Pump is bad

2. Could POSSIBLY be a wiring problem I doubt it.

Next time your pump dies, if you have a buddy with you. Hit the fuel tank with a rubber hammer. It may fire back up, if so. Fuel pump is bad.

If it doesn't pump is bad hehe, may just save you from waiting all that time.

you replaced it 3 times?? i'd say the whining noise is normal, but it dies sooo... probably the fact its a aftermarket part and not GM.
The whining noise is the pump priming the fuel to go to the engine.

On inital startup the whinin noise is the pump priming so it takes less cranking time to strat the veh.

replacing the whole fuel tank will not solve the problem, buying a OEM part will.

The fact that your car is dying like that is..

1. Pump is bad

2. Could POSSIBLY be a wiring problem I doubt it.

Next time your pump dies, if you have a buddy with you. Hit the fuel tank with a rubber hammer. It may fire back up, if so. Fuel pump is bad.

If it doesn't pump is bad hehe, may just save you from waiting all that time.
no it is not when I start up the carit it whines when I`m driving it the longer and farther I drive the car the louder the whine gets till it cuts off as I`m driving right in the middle of the highway the guy that had the car before also replaced the fuel pump 3 tomes I whished I would have known before I purchased the car, he replaced the first pump at 50,000 miles and the second pump at 82,300 miles and the 3rd pump at 90,000 miles, I brought the car with 92,456 miles on it and replaced my first pump at about 98,000 miles, there is something wrong here and I don`t think it has to do with the part not being a GM part.

no it is not when I start up the carit it whines when I`m driving it the longer and farther I drive the car the louder the whine gets till it cuts off as I`m driving right in the middle of the highway the guy that had the car before also replaced the fuel pump 3 tomes I whished I would have known before I purchased the car, he replaced the first pump at 50,000 miles and the second pump at 82,300 miles and the 3rd pump at 90,000 miles, I brought the car with 92,456 miles on it and replaced my first pump at about 98,000 miles, there is something wrong here and I don`t think it has to do with the part not being a GM part.

you would be hella suprised.

yep...always buy GM/AC Delco....over the counter cheapies will wear out way sooner than a GM piece will. Also, to help save your fuel pump, try not to let the tank get way below 1/4 tank, keep ample gas in the tank, will help cool the pump.

yep...always buy GM/AC Delco....over the counter cheapies will wear out way sooner than a GM piece will. Also, to help save your fuel pump, try not to let the tank get way below 1/4 tank, keep ample gas in the tank, will help cool the pump.
the pumps I have bought were not cheap they were Carter fuel pumps and I bought them from NAPA. I found out one of the problems is in the Fuel pump assembly itself, there is a vavle in the assembly that is bad which cuases it to make that high picth whine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.